Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

ERROR: when moving from 64 to 32 bits SAS 9.4

Accepted Solution Solved
Respected Advisor
Accepted Solution

ERROR: when moving from 64 to 32 bits SAS 9.4

After moving from SAS 9.4 64 bits to SAS 9.4 32 bits, a user gets the message that SASUSER.PROFILE is no longer valid because it was created for another OS (not true BTW, the OS remained Win 7, 64 bits). What should be done to recover a valid profile? 

PG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-17-2016 11:20 PM
Super User

Re: ERROR: when moving from 64 to 32 bits SAS 9.4

It seems to be the "bitness" of SAS that creates the catalogs that is the issue, not actually the OS.

If there isn't much customization stored in your profile then delete it and let SAS rebuild it on next start.

Otherwise try to find a 64 bit install that can see the location, assign a library (if needed) and proc cport to export and Proc catalog to read back into the 32 bit version.

I have a list of things to do before upgrading SAS to save various registry, editor, scheme and profile settings that sometimes saves me work with getting the customizations back after the upgrade if they aren't maintained by the new install. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎03-17-2016 11:20 PM
Super User

It seems to be the "bitness" of SAS that creates the catalogs that is the issue, not actually the OS.

If there isn't much customization stored in your profile then delete it and let SAS rebuild it on next start.

Otherwise try to find a 64 bit install that can see the location, assign a library (if needed) and proc cport to export and Proc catalog to read back into the 32 bit version.

I have a list of things to do before upgrading SAS to save various registry, editor, scheme and profile settings that sometimes saves me work with getting the customizations back after the upgrade if they aren't maintained by the new install. 

Super User

My understanding is that SASUSER.PROFILE is more a legacy feature and default SAS 9.4 installs now usually set SASUSER library to read-only. It stores Display Manager customisations mainly. If you now use EG then it is no longer relevant.

I'd suggest renaming the file to avoid the error and then just keep an eye on any settings that may have changed as a consequence of not having the custom PROFILE.

If the user still wants their custom PROFILE then PROC CPORT from 64-bit SAS and CIMPORT in 32-bit SAS should convert it OK.

Respected Advisor

Thank you @ballardw and @SASKiwi. Removing the catalog files and let SAS recreate them will be good enough for us.

PG
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation