BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

After moving from SAS 9.4 64 bits to SAS 9.4 32 bits, a user gets the message that SASUSER.PROFILE is no longer valid because it was created for another OS (not true BTW, the OS remained Win 7, 64 bits). What should be done to recover a valid profile? 

PG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

It seems to be the "bitness" of SAS that creates the catalogs that is the issue, not actually the OS.

If there isn't much customization stored in your profile then delete it and let SAS rebuild it on next start.

Otherwise try to find a 64 bit install that can see the location, assign a library (if needed) and proc cport to export and Proc catalog to read back into the 32 bit version.

I have a list of things to do before upgrading SAS to save various registry, editor, scheme and profile settings that sometimes saves me work with getting the customizations back after the upgrade if they aren't maintained by the new install. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

It seems to be the "bitness" of SAS that creates the catalogs that is the issue, not actually the OS.

If there isn't much customization stored in your profile then delete it and let SAS rebuild it on next start.

Otherwise try to find a 64 bit install that can see the location, assign a library (if needed) and proc cport to export and Proc catalog to read back into the 32 bit version.

I have a list of things to do before upgrading SAS to save various registry, editor, scheme and profile settings that sometimes saves me work with getting the customizations back after the upgrade if they aren't maintained by the new install. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

My understanding is that SASUSER.PROFILE is more a legacy feature and default SAS 9.4 installs now usually set SASUSER library to read-only. It stores Display Manager customisations mainly. If you now use EG then it is no longer relevant.

I'd suggest renaming the file to avoid the error and then just keep an eye on any settings that may have changed as a consequence of not having the custom PROFILE.

If the user still wants their custom PROFILE then PROC CPORT from 64-bit SAS and CIMPORT in 32-bit SAS should convert it OK.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Thank you @ballardw and @SASKiwi. Removing the catalog files and let SAS recreate them will be good enough for us.

PG

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation