Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

EG licenses

Contributor

EG licenses

Hi Experts,

I want to know if there is way to find out the number of licensed Enterprise Guide users.

Please help.

Thanks,

Suchi

Trusted Advisor

Re: EG licenses

Posted in reply to suchismita

Hello @suchismita,

there are only two ways as far as I know:

1. Find it in the Supplement included in your contract with SAS.
  2. Have contact with your Account Manager / SAS representative.

This is not information that comes with the technical file / license, only in the legal document aka the contract.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Juan

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to JuanS_OCS

Hi @JuanS_OCS

That information i got it from my contract. But I want to you  know how many of those licenses are being used or active.

We can find out an estimated number of users from SMC but that is not accurate.

Is there any SAS proc or function to find out the number of active SAS EG licenses out of total allocated licenses.

Super User

I'm not aware of any functionality in SAS that will count active EG installations - you would have to count by workstation ID rather than user name to get what you want.

Super User

The spawner log contains IP addresses and usernames for every workspace server session the spawner started.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Trusted Advisor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

This may not be what you are asking, but in case it is...

Enterprise Guide (the client itself) is not a specifically licensed product.  It can be installed indiscriminately.  As such, there is no mechanism, from SAS, for obtaining a list of installation sites for the client.  Since it is a Windows client and I'm assuming this is for a corporate work environment, it should be safe to assume you have typical IT products for Windows, such as SCCM which could be used to find all installations of Enterprise Guide within your domain.

In a server environment, it is not typical for SAS to license on a per-user basis and the burden of monitoring that you are within the terms of your contract is on you.

Contributor

@FriedEgg That means if we can get a EG license on server then there is no limit on number of clients to use them. Like it can be used by as many users as we install EG on their machine and add them in SMC?

Did I spell your message correctly?

Occasional Contributor

i am not sure on the licence part but  i can help you in finding no. of users currently using  EG or any other SAS application .if you look at the metadata server logs and search key word "APPNAME". the search result will display you various applications from where SAS is being used. be it EG,DI, eminer , VA etc. filter can be like APPNAME= enterprise guide as well.

sample output

Line 213: 2018-05-08T10:45:17,178 INFO [00000351] :sastrust@saspw - New client connection (16) accepted from server port 8561 for user sastrust@saspw. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASPROPRIETARY. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:10...9.,,]:49591 for APPNAME=Environment Mgr Mid-Tier 2.4.

Line 220: 2018-05-08T10:45:17,210 INFO [00000370] :snash - New client connection (18) accepted from server port 8561 for user snash Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASPROPRIETARY. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:10..81.10]:60237 for APPNAME=SAS Enterprise Guide.

Line 224: 2018-05-08T10:45:55,698 INFO [00000407] :snag- New client connection (19) accepted from server port 8561 for SAS token user snag. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASPROPRIETARY. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:10..9.40]:49618 for APPNAME=SAS Workspace Server.

Line 227: 2018-05-08T10:45:55,854 INFO [00000409] :sastrust@saspw - New client connection (20) accepted from server port 8561 for user sastrust@saspw. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASPROPRIETARY. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:10.........:49620 for APPNAME=Web Administration Console 9.4.

Trusted Advisor

@suchismita, yes, you are understanding what I said.  Unless your contract with SAS specifically limits the number of users you can have (which would be unusual) then you are able to add as many users as you want to the SAS Metadata Server through the SAS Management Console, install SAS Enterprise Guide on all of their machines or other client terminals as you like.  You should contact your SAS Account Representative if you have more questions of this nature.  They should be able to easily help you understand along with knowing the specifics of your contract.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation