BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sewa_bal_gmail_com
Quartz | Level 8

We have a distributed sas production env with 4 physical hardware and now we want to setup a mirror of prodction env but we have only one physical hardware available for test env.

Can we setup distributed test env with only one hardware? if yes then how?

We hare using SAS VA 7.3 version on distributed env.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I understand it SAS recommend physical hardware for SAS VA App servers for performance reasons, so my guess is you would be best off going non-distributed for your Test setup.

One option you could have considered is setting up two SAS App servers (Lev1/Lev2) on each of your 4 Prod physical servers. This would have given you the option of treating Lev1 as Prod and Lev2 as Dev. I'm assuming you have already gone live so going back and redoing your Prod environment is probably not an option.

sewa_bal_gmail_com
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for reply.

Can we setup distributed env on one hardware as test env not required very good in performance. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @sewa_bal_gmail_com,

theoretically, it sould be "possible" although hightly not recommendable. Several reasons:

- First and the most important: you might face A LOT of memory range interferences for the LASR services. 

- Also, from a point of view of design, it would be very messy, You could spend months just investigating and implementing such a solution.

- Also, and not less important: my best guess is that SAS won't support any issue or challenge you will face with it.

Therefore, and as conclussion. I strongly advise for not going to a VA distributed on a single machine. You can always ask your SAS Account Manager to check this of course. But I would go to a fully distributed version (maybe with reduced number of cores and nodes?) or a non-distributed version, as @SASKiwi rightly advised.

sewa_bal_gmail_com
Quartz | Level 8

Received reply from SAS Tech support, they mentioned its posiible to install on distributed sas va  with one physically machine(via  virtually).

Our system supports Red Hat virtual guests only in Vmware hypervisor but not supported/preferred way to run Red Hat virtual guests. Please advise.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

We use VMWare servers for our VA metadata and mid-tier servers and have one physical App server. Performance is good.but we are non-distributed. I'd suggest you look at this type of setup. A virtual App server was not an option as VMWare could not scale to the 500GB of memory we required - you should check the maximum memory you can specify for a VM.

Personally I can't see much point in setting up a Test environment that is very different to Prod as that will compromise the validity of your testing. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @sewa_bal_gmail_com,

Indeed, a virtualized environment with virtual network would enable you to set a "similar" environment. About the virtualizatoin system, it really does not matter. I would select the system that can be better managed by your system admins, where they got expertise.

And again, I fully agree with @SASKiwi, that deployment won't be able to fully reproduce your technical environment, although I see advantages for testing logical updates to your production environment. Therefore, just go for it. 

Now, beware: as I guess you will create a reduced deployment of your VA-distributed environment, with reduced resources, probably your pre-requisites and some of your configurations will need to change a bit. I recommend you to keep aligned with SAS to get the best settings given the resources on your physical machine.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation