BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DmitryErshov
Obsidian | Level 7

Could you please clarify difference between library pre-asigned by external configuration and not pre-asigned library.

According to this article:

The third and final option for pre-assigning libraries (pre-asigned by external configuration) is to use an external definition or an autoexec file. This method essentially makes the library available to client applications but moves the code out of the user interface to an external file.

But what if I don't pre-assigne library and use LIBNAME statement in autoexec file to assign it. It seems like it is absolutely similar to make library pre-asigned by external configuration.In both cases I can write LIBNAME instruction in autoexec file and get similar results.

Am I right? Or I don't see some difference. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If you define your library as not pre-assigned clients like DIS will include a libname statement in the generated code. This code will be executed after the autoexec so it will overrule it. Defining the lib pre-assigned by external configuration will prevent that.

In essence this difference is what "but moves the code out of the user interface to an external file" refers to.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If you define your library as not pre-assigned clients like DIS will include a libname statement in the generated code. This code will be executed after the autoexec so it will overrule it. Defining the lib pre-assigned by external configuration will prevent that.

In essence this difference is what "but moves the code out of the user interface to an external file" refers to.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation