BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mushy
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

When I create a table using DI studio irrespective of the Metadata name, the table is always created in lowercase in the linux server. May I know if anyone knows how to change this behavior to say, create the table in Upper case of mixed case?

Also in Enterprise Guide I always see the table name in Upper case. May the know the reason for this?

Thanks,

Mushy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

.sas7bdat files MUST be all lowercase, period. If any character is uppercase on case sensitive systems (read UNIX), the file becomes unusable.

The internal representation (e.g. in the DICTIONARY tables) is always uppercase; this comes from the initial mainframe environment on which SAS was initially developed.

These behaviors cannot be changed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

.sas7bdat files MUST be all lowercase, period. If any character is uppercase on case sensitive systems (read UNIX), the file becomes unusable.

The internal representation (e.g. in the DICTIONARY tables) is always uppercase; this comes from the initial mainframe environment on which SAS was initially developed.

These behaviors cannot be changed.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Table names in SAS aren't case sensitive but files under Unix/Linux. So what should "SAS" do if there are two .sas7bdat files in a folder where the names only differ in the casing (which under Unix/Linux is possible).

It makes to me a lot of sense that SAS stores all tables physically in lowercase only and that there isn't an option to change this behavior - as it would only be a recipe for a big mess.

SAS table names in the SAS data dictionary are stored in upper case. I guess it's upper case as that's been the "standard" casing in Mainframe environments. I guess EG just shows the names as per data dictionary.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation