Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Creating implicit roles in SMC

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Creating implicit roles in SMC

Hi There,

Can anyone help me understand , how can we create an Implicit roles in Management console.

I can create a role and assign capabilities or contributing roles as per my requirement. But I am not understanding how to create an implicit role?

Implicit roles have a Implicit keyword in General tab and nothing else.

Please help.

Thanks,

Suchi

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-02-2018 10:39 AM
PROC Star

Re: Creating implicit roles in SMC

Posted in reply to suchismita

Implicit roles (such as Metadata Server: Unrestricted, Metadata Server: Operation) provide implicit capabilities. Implicit capabilities are hard coded into the software such that just being a member of the role provides all of those embedded or built-in capabilities for that role. Those implicit capabilities are not published in metadata and so cannot be clicked on and off like you do with the explicit capabilities - you are either a member of the role or not (and get all the implicit capabilities or not).

As far as I know, the presence of "[implicit]" in some implicit role descriptions is purely for documentation purposes. I don't believe SAS software looks for and expects it to be there.

If you create your own custom applications then you could check for the presence and membership of specific roles before allowing access to those custom application features (without going further and looking for specific capabilities). That would be an example of creating and using an implicit role. You cannot create additional implicit roles for existing SAS applications - you just use the ones that are there.

If you want to provide finer-grained access to your custom application features then you could go further and publish custom application and capability metadata in the SAS metadata server. We do this with our Metacoda Plug-ins software so administrators have the option to control which Metacoda Plug-ins are available to which users.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎01-02-2018 10:39 AM
PROC Star

Implicit roles (such as Metadata Server: Unrestricted, Metadata Server: Operation) provide implicit capabilities. Implicit capabilities are hard coded into the software such that just being a member of the role provides all of those embedded or built-in capabilities for that role. Those implicit capabilities are not published in metadata and so cannot be clicked on and off like you do with the explicit capabilities - you are either a member of the role or not (and get all the implicit capabilities or not).

As far as I know, the presence of "[implicit]" in some implicit role descriptions is purely for documentation purposes. I don't believe SAS software looks for and expects it to be there.

If you create your own custom applications then you could check for the presence and membership of specific roles before allowing access to those custom application features (without going further and looking for specific capabilities). That would be an example of creating and using an implicit role. You cannot create additional implicit roles for existing SAS applications - you just use the ones that are there.

If you want to provide finer-grained access to your custom application features then you could go further and publish custom application and capability metadata in the SAS metadata server. We do this with our Metacoda Plug-ins software so administrators have the option to control which Metacoda Plug-ins are available to which users.

Contributor

Posted in reply to PaulHomes

Thanks Paul,

I was wondering where is that metacode  plugin? Is it a plug-in in Sas management console?

PROC Star

Hi Suchi,

Metacoda Plug-ins are 3rd party plug-ins that we supply that can be installed into SAS Management Console to add additional features. There is more info on our web site at https://www.metacoda.com/en/products/ where you can also register for an evaluation if you want. Alternatively send me a private message and we can discuss further.

Cheers

Paul

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation