06-13-2013 01:08 PM
Announcing the “Creating Media on a Single-Sided DVD in a SAS® 9.3 Windows Operating Environment”
This paper is written for system administrators who want to create a single-sided DVD in a SAS 9.3 Windows operating environment for Basic installs only (SAS Foundation). The following instructions will help you to reduce the steps that are required to create a working DVD. This is especially useful in an environment such as a university setting, where it is necessary to create media for several users. See the attachment entitled” CreatingSingleMediaDVD.pdf” or you can obtain it from our FTP site.
Another tip for administrators is to create a response file that the end users can use to perform the installation silently on their machine. For example:
1st record the responses on a machine and then test the deployment.
"path-to-depot\setup.exe" –deploy -record -responsefile "path-to-response-file\sdwresponse.properties"
"path-to-depot\setup.exe" -responsefile "path-to-response-file\sdwresponse.properties"
See Installation Note 37041, for Tips and techniques when performing a quiet deployment
This is not supported on Windows 8 or Windows 2012 environments. If the status of this changes, we will update the SAS Deployment Support Communities web site. Please make sure to check the operating system and the revision/release of SAS 9.3 you are using to see if SAS is supported.
To install on a PC after the DVD has been created and the response file is created, you can provide these steps to your colleagues:
1. From the start>Run or Search line have your end user run:
D:\setup.exe -quiet -responsefile "C:\test\sdwresponse.properties"
D:\setup.exe -quiet -responsefile "C:\test\sdwresponse.properties" -wait
* -wait is so that you see the process in the task manager to know whether the installation is complete (deploywiz.exe)
2. Periodically have them check the Task Manager to see if the deploywiz.exe option is gone, which means the installation has completed.
3. Verify the DeploymentSummary.html file to make sure there were no errors during the install process.
4. If you need a report to show what is installed and licensed, run the sasinstallreporter3.sas report and have the end user send the report to you.
08-01-2013 12:52 PM
Thank you for this information. In attempting to replicate the steps in the document, I am unable to get my installation to fit onto a single sided DVD. The size of my installation differs from yours for some reason. What can I do to shrink mine further?