BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mahesh3
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Doing the Migration, Can some body please provide the steps to copy the data from SAS9.3 Unix to SAS9.4 Linux

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
If you're referring to SAS tables (sas7bdat files), are you able to copy them from one server to another using operating system commands?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
Mahesh3
Calcite | Level 5

Thankyou,

If it is just a dataset then i would have simply used the unix commands to copy but i need to copy the related files to  like indexes, catalogues etc to the new server. Need steps to copy the entire data from SAS9.3 to SAS9.4

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I think if they are both SAS 9 you can still just copy them. Here is the relevant documentation:

Compatibility and Migration
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/engsas7bdat/p0xntq65hjj4jkn1nrryzly5fm7u.h...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Everything that has been stated works without issues if SAS 9.3 and SAS 9.4 are on the same operating system type (i.e. Windows, Linux or Unix).  

Copying SAS data files (.sas7bdate files) from SAS 9.3 Unix (AIX, Solaris, ....) to SAS 9.4 Linux (RHEL) then operating system commands work, but you will only be able to access the SAS data files in READ mode using the CEDA feature.  And all indexes and catalogs cannot be accessed.  

If you want the catalogs (i.e. user FORMATs) copied and indexes recreated then you need to use the PROC EXPORT/IMPORT or PROC COPY commands.

Let me know if you need more details.

Mahesh3
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you,

Can you please provide the steps 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I believe you need to look at PROC CPORT and PROC CIMPORT. These provide the most comprehensive functionality.

Also PROC COPY and PROC MIGRATE may be useful.

A simpler approach using PROC UPLOAD is also an option but requires that you have SAS/CONNECT installed and licensed on both SAS installations.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation