BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shoin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

What are the considerations and pitfalls of copying an existing install to another server, changing sashome and config to (sashome2 & config2) for the same shared filesystem?  Did anyone experience this?  Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have gone through that process once. In hindsight against better judgment. There are so  many places (files, metadata, content, ...) where the path names of SASConfig and SASHome exist that you will probably never find the last one. With all consequences. I got it to work but it took days. A proper re-install plus possibly a migration is the safer and likely quicker approach. This is very much true for the SASConfig. Also take care that a change in host name will have impact. and of course it depends on the complexity of your SAS landscape. You may get away with moving SASHome more easily. Actually, if this is shared storage, you could consider running two o more configurations from one SASHome.

My experience was on Linux. Windows has the registry as an additional source of headaches.

So, in short and unless you're looking for a thrill ride, don't.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have gone through that process once. In hindsight against better judgment. There are so  many places (files, metadata, content, ...) where the path names of SASConfig and SASHome exist that you will probably never find the last one. With all consequences. I got it to work but it took days. A proper re-install plus possibly a migration is the safer and likely quicker approach. This is very much true for the SASConfig. Also take care that a change in host name will have impact. and of course it depends on the complexity of your SAS landscape. You may get away with moving SASHome more easily. Actually, if this is shared storage, you could consider running two o more configurations from one SASHome.

My experience was on Linux. Windows has the registry as an additional source of headaches.

So, in short and unless you're looking for a thrill ride, don't.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation