BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tommy81
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi ,

We have a PC SAS and an ODBC conenction setup on the desktop to Hadoop.

Wanted to know if its possible to conenct to Hadoop hIVE and assign libraries via ODBC / JDBC.

Is it mandatory to have SAS ACCESS to Hadoop to do this even if we are able to establish a connection via ODBC to Hadoop ? There is a Tablue environment which we are connecting to HIVE tables via ODBC.

10 REPLIES 10
anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

You can connect to Hadoop via ODBC / SAS libname, the difference between ODBC and SAS/Access to Hadoop is that

the latter uses the Hadoop engine, whereas ODBC uses the ODBC engine.

If you have ODBC DSN configured on your pc, you could do a Libname hdp odbc prompt;

and then select the DSN you set up.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Anja

tommy81
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks Anja.I`ll try to connect it via ODBC

anja
SAS Employee

Hi

in addition to my last post, i meant to add some of the options you can use to actually access hadoop from sas

Hadoop FILENAME statement, which enables read/write of HDFS files and folders

Scalable Performance Data Engine – SPDE

PROC HADOOP, which enables Pig, Map Reduce, HDFS statement submission

SAS/ACCESS Interface to Hadoop, to Read/Write data to and from HIVE

PROC SQL to submit Hive QL statements

and ODBC, which however doesn't use hadoop nor sas engine.

tommy81
Obsidian | Level 7

We tried the following options, however it went into error.Attaching screenshots

libname_error.jpgODBC_SPARK.jpg
anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

sorry if my last info has caused confusion. You would need SAS/Access to Hadoop to use the Hadoop engine.

My intend was to generally list the options you have to access Hadoop.

Again, my apologies if this was confusing.

Thanks

Anja

tommy81
Obsidian | Level 7
Ok. So even if we have setup ODBC on the windows machine , we still need to have SAS/ACCESS to Hadoop driver to connect and assign libnames ?

no attachments. -##
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
If you wish to use ODBC instead of "native" Hadoop connection you'll need a SAS/ACCESS to ODBC licence.
Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
If you wish to use ODBC instead of "native" Hadoop connection you'll need a SAS/ACCESS to ODBC licence.
Data never sleeps
pveldurthi
Calcite | Level 5

Very interesting topic, I'm curious as what difference does it make in terms of using SAS Access to ODBC versus SAS Access to hadoop. In terms of fuctionality, will I still be able to deal with HDFS files, read/write files, or only access Hive tables.

maheshtalla
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Even i'm curious to know how we can configure HDI cluster or Hive using SAS ODBC. Can you please help with presice details we need to configure. we have seperate SAS Environment(with ODBC) and Hadoop on MS Azure. Please help me with more details how we can establish connection.

Thanks in advance.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation