BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mk7687mk
Calcite | Level 5

I want to import Excel file into SAS, but could not find Import option for Excel and Access in SAS9.3.It is very strange.

I have tried through Proc Import and Import Wizard, but could see only CSVs or tab delimited file options.Would I need to install something to get that? Please help me out.

3 REPLIES 3
Bago
SAS Employee

Hey,

Sounds like you don't have SAS/Access Interface to PC Files (http://www.sas.com/software/data-management/access/pcfile.html ) licensed. You need this license to import Excel files directly.

Run

proc setinit noalias;

run;

In the log you should see a reference to "SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files". If not this means you don't have it licensed.

As a workaround save your Excel files as either tab delimited or csv files. You can import these files using Base sas.

Kind regards,

Bago

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

MK,

PROC SETINIT will tell you what you have licensed, not what you have installed.  So if it says you have SAS/Access for PC files, talk to your local support folk about getting the additional pieces installed.

Another workaround might be to use Enterprise Guide to read the Excel files.  EGuide is part of Base SAS for 9.3 and includes some of it's own routines for reading Excel (right now, I feel like EGuide has more features for reading 'difficult' Excel files than IMPORT does).

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

mk7687mk
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the responses. Yes, we donot have the licence, so I have used EGuide as an alternative

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation