BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Edie
Calcite | Level 5

I am preparing to upgrade to 9.3 and am interested in keeping 9.2 active for a parallel. Is this possible?  If so, how do I do it so that I can log into either. I understand that we can deploy to a different Levn, but how would we establish the connection profile so that we could choose between 9.2 and 9.3. 

7 REPLIES 7
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

We have 9.1.3 and 9.3 both on a number of boxes at the same time.

All you need is to install the programs to a different root directory.  If I'm not mistaken, the install

for 9.3 went to a different root anyhow so we didn't have to make any changes at all.

You will get an icon for each version so just select the one you want to run.  We have ours use a common

autoexec so it takes care of the file allocations to default external files for us.

Edie
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks OS2Rules. I don't understand what you mean about getting a different icon. I should have indicated that our servers are Unix.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry - ours are Windows boxes and I'm unfamiliar with UNIX installs.

I'm sure that version 9.3 installed into a different root directory so the 2 versions were kept distinct.  You should be able to just pick which exe to run for either version.  It may be different with UNIX.

This may be a question for Tech Support.

Edie
Calcite | Level 5

I was afraid that you would tell me you had Windows.  If you can do it in Windows, you should be able to do in on Unix.  Thanks for the input anyway.

art297
Opal | Level 21

SAS Tech Support has already provided the answer to your question.  Take a look at the thread at: https://communities.sas.com/thread/40068?start=0&tstart=0

Edie
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Arthur, for pointing me in this direction. I guess I wasn't searching appropriately to hit this.

Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The issues are:

* folder names for sas.exe

* bitness: 32 or 64

on a Win.XP computer I had three versions:

* v9.1 in ...\SAS\9.1

* v9.2 in ...\SAS\9.2

* v9.3 in ...\SASHome

On servers you may not have the bitness conflict,

but on a PC you may get wound pretty tight trying to figure out what folder is for 32

iirc

32 bit computer

* v9.3 in ...\SASHome

64 bit computer

* v9.3.64 in ...\SASHome

* v9.3.32 in ...\<32bit>\SASHome

now what was that 32bit folder reference?

something quite clear to chip-designing engineers:

x86

And you will hit the wall, when you run 64.bit SAS with a libref containing data sets created by 32.bit.

The sys.mvar to check is:

%put SysAddrBits:&SysAddrBits;

I recommend Defensive Programming

libname Lib32 "..\sas7b32";

libname Lib64 "..\sas7b64";

libname Library "...\sas7b&SysAddrBits";

Ron Fehd  128, anyone? maven

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation