BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sukhi1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I have to access web services using mainframe sas. is it possible? if yes. then please suggest the possible way.
if no, then is there any other way we can go for?

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

My knowledge of mainframe SAS is zero. However you access web services with either PROC HTTP or PROC SOAP, depending on the type of web service. If those procs are available on the mainframe, then I guess you could....

Sukhi1
Calcite | Level 5
thanks you nhvdwalt . I need to make secure communication between two server may be based on certification .
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

100%, then you will of course specify the HTTPS URL in PROC HTTP. Just make sure that the needed CA certificates are installed on SAS. Have a look at the SAS guide titled 'Encryption in SAS 9.4' that will tell you where and how these certs are stored in the SAS installation.

Sukhi1
Calcite | Level 5
thank you nhvdwalt. I am going thru the SAS guide 'Encryption in SAS 9.4' . will get back if any issue/findings.
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

No problem.

Also search the web for SAS Papers on the topic, there are many good papers out there with some solid examples.

SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The HTTP procedure and SOAP procedures are both supported under z/OS.

Do check the documentation for these procedures because they do include some z/OS specific comments.

Doing TLS/SSL with these procs for z/OS specifically is not well described in the manual.

Try it out and if you run into difficulties with the TLS bits it would be something good to run past SAS Technical Support.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Sukhi1,

just one addition. To be able to make full usage of proc http / soap, you would need to be on SAS 9,4 and at least the 3rd maintenance level.

I would also suggest you to get some java program, such as SoapUI, to test the connections to the web service before the actual creation of the SAS procedures. I will save you a bunch of time and trouble.

https://community.smartbear.com/t5/SoapUI-Open-Source/Integrating-SoapUI-with-Mainframe/td-p/28295

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation