BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

Here's the Scenario: 2 servers (Redhat) with 8 cores each but 4 cores are turned off on each server to be in compliance with SAS licensing.   So the issue is, that the 4 cores on each server that are running SAS applications are also competing with 700 other processes, for monitoring, clustered file system, backups, scheduling, file transfers, etc.

I found the post below about using the "taskset" command to reserve cores during boot up and then start specific applications on those cores.   Has anyone used this function or one like it to reserve cores for SAS (Grid) and then use the remaining cores for the rest of the processes?

How to run program or process on specific CPU cores on Linux
Last updated on October 29, 2013 Authored by Dan Nanni  11 Comments

As multi-core CPUs become increasingly popular on server-grade hardware as well  as end-user desktop PCs or laptops, there have been growing efforts in the community (e.g., in terms of programming models, compiler or operating system support) towards developing applications optimized for multi-core architecture.

One operating system (OS) support often exploited to run performance-critical applications on multi-core processors is so-called "processor
affinity" or "CPU pinning". This is an OS-specific feature that "binds" a running process or program to particular CPU core(s).

<cut>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It is documented in the SAS VA installation guide. That is how I got to know this.
Looks toe become at the same level as z/OS WLM. I would have like to do this cgroups at Linux. Pitty not having the chance to do that (yet). 

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Use cgroups that is intended for your mentioned purpose Chapter 1. Introduction to Control Groups (Cgroups) .

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

I have RHEL 6.5 but the Cgroups functionality is not installed.    Have you set up any clients with this?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It is documented in the SAS VA installation guide. That is how I got to know this.
Looks toe become at the same level as z/OS WLM. I would have like to do this cgroups at Linux. Pitty not having the chance to do that (yet). 

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

Jaap, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!   Found a SAS paper too support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS289-2014.pdf.   This is exciting stuff.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation