Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Base SAS 9.4_M2 Windows Installer Dissappears Suddenly and Never Completes Installation

New Contributor

Base SAS 9.4_M2 Windows Installer Dissappears Suddenly and Never Completes Installation

Hello,

I'm trying to install Base SAS on a Windows 7 Professional and the setup.exe and jre.exe processes close out mysteriously when the "splash" dialog appears for the installation process. I had selected a subset of my software order to download into the SAS Software Depot, basically everything included in the order but only for Windows/Windows x64 - thought that would be sufficient. It looks like the SAS Software Depot ships with it's own JRE version, so upgrading my Windows system-wide JRE isn't going to help.  

I'm wondering if there is anyway to troubleshoot this installation process via logging and/or if someone out there has experienced something similar? 

Thanks,

David

Trusted Advisor

Re: Base SAS 9.4_M2 Windows Installer Dissappears Suddenly and Never Completes Installation

[ Edited ]

Hi @wookiefurball

I think you are facing an old behaviour. I honestly have to say that last time I experienced it it was with SAS 9.3, but you might have something similar.

http://support.sas.com/kb/33/598.html

My suggestions:

1- first check if your depot is complete and no file is corrupted (0Kb) with the /SAS Software Depot/utilities/depotchecker utility.

2- I strongly suggest to try again the installation with no running antivirus, since it might block and quarantine some files.

3- If nothing of this works, you could contact SAS Technical Support or your SAS account manager, maybe you need a different version of a depot, but I personally doubt that. Anyway, they can help you really nicely.

I hope this can help you, please let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Juan

SAS Employee

Re: Base SAS 9.4_M2 Windows Installer Dissappears Suddenly and Never Completes Installation

@wookiefurball

There are command line options for starting SAS Deployment Wizard.  Some are explained in this PDF:

SAS Deployment Wizard Users Guide One that should help you is -loglevel  2

If the Wizard still fails, and the debugging messages do not help, you may need a Tech Support Track. 

Andy Richter

(SAS Techical Support)

New Contributor

@Andy547, thanks a ton for that tip about the debug logging. Quick question about that - where is the debug log file actually saved to in Windows? 

The installation through the SAS Deployment Wizard appears to be working now. Go figure. Windows 10 auto installed a number of updates after the laptop I was on ran out of battery power and I rebooted. I did try the debug loglevel option at he command prompt, but I think the Windows updates had more to do with resolving this issue. 

Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation