BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Dani1
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

I have a doubt.

I have activated the audit in the logger audit en SAS 9.3.

It works fine because in the appender section I put the output to a log and I can see the records without any problem.

My question is:

It Is posible redirect the output rather to a log directly to the syslog in AIX.

I read that there is a option of syslog and I have activated correcty but only I could read a normal log of sas not the audit.

Can I merge the audit appender with syslogd appender

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Two things, firstly, I do not know of an "Audit Logger" in SAS 9.3.  Please clarify what software package you are using, e.g. Enterprise Guide, Visual analytics etc.  Secondly, Community Matters isn't a relvant topic area for your question.  If you can clarify what software you refer to I can move your post to a relevant area where your question may be answered.

Dani1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

What I'm using is logging facility of SAS 9.3

Thanks a lot

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The AIX syslog facility is a program that accepts messages on standard input and writes them to the syslog

Therefore you would need to pipe audit messages to the AIX syslog

I would stronlgly argue against piping the whole SAS logs to the default AIX syslog. That would be the equivalent of routing the central AAA switchboard to the Oval Office.

The syslog is there for high-level messages concerning the correct function and security of the hardware and the operating system.

You could use the syslog facility to create your own SAS-specific log repository, but you already have that in the written logs.

Dani1
Calcite | Level 5

Hello;

Now I have activated and configured the syslog for the AIX and It works fine.

We have a program which recives the information from syslog and creates reports with this information.

We want to take advantge from this utilitly and I have been reading how to configure the utillity of logging facility to syslogd

If I undertand correctly you only need configure correctly the appender audit library with the other apender syslog but

I can't do it succesfully

Thans a lot

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Please read the Companion guide. For additional details, and as suggested on the proposed chapter, you can get additional details on the SAS 9.4 Logging: Configuration and Programming Reference, Second Edition, more exactly here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/logug/67485/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p16tinhrondc9xn1xdjc... 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I think you will need to give a shot to the SAS 9.4 Companion for UNIX Environments, Fifth Edition: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/67929/PDF/default/hostunx.pdf

On page 91 you can find: Routing SAS Logging Facility Messages to SYSLOGD

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation