BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Can I grant a user access to a folder but not allow them to navigate to the folder, or click into the folder?  I want to display a stored process as a tab but not allow the users to use the folder any other way.

If I could hide the folder from some users it would work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

As the goal of the readability of a folder having those SP registrations is connecting that to drop downs, your question looks to me not logical.  Very nice and kind of you to mention those backgrounds.  Storing old versions/releases is a quick approach also seen at Windows as ICT solutions do not offer the solution the business is needed. Versioning and release management to implement for the business applications is not documented by SAS.  You could solve that very well with a levx segregation. It some more work but will fulfill all kind of normal requirements. I do not understand the objection at Sas for that. This will cleanup your folders a lot.

The next one is that sp's are only metadata regisitrations. You could define more of those for each user group be in different. Still sharing the same Sas source code. By that you can tailor a folder that way it only shows what that specific group of users is needing to see.

The thinking is the other way arround.

One caution is there with dynamic pull downs as the associated server is not needed the one you are assigning that. Makes no sense and that must be an error by SAS.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jag_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi David. Have you tried granting a group ReadMetadata access to the folder and then specifying ReadMetadata DENY to each of the stored processes in the folder? You could create an ACT to apply. If you would explain why/how this doesn't accomplish what you need that will help me understand what you are trying to accomplish a bit better and then perhaps I can ask one of my colleagues who specializes in metadata permissions to reply.

DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I need the users to be able to access the stored processes inside the folder.  However I do not want the users to be able to navigate to the folder.  If I block the stored process metadata would that stop them from using the stored process when it is called in a web URL portlet.

wds_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi David.  The users will need ReadMetadata Grant permission to the folder in order to access the stored processes in the folder. 

Here is an idea. You can use the _PATH variable with _ACTION=INDEX on the URL to control what level the tree view begins with when browsing. For example:

http://your.server.com:8080/SASStoredProcess/do?_action=index&_path=/Products/SAS+Intelligence+Platf...

So, if your stored process folder is outside of this path, then the user would not be able to browse to it if they use this URL for browsing.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Please explain the background of yuor question.

It seems you have already translated into you technical one. There could be other more logical approaches fulfilling the requirement in an other way.

When not, that would be a gap to work on by SAS.

DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have a run-away number of folders and do not want senior management to see most of them.  I’m creating a few tabs and including web URL portlets inside of these tabs.  When users are granted access to the tabs it appears that they have to have access to the folder as well.  Also I’m keeping older versions of the stored process inside the folder for change management reasons and it is confusing to the users to see the older versions. What I’m looking for is a folder that can populate the tab but the users cannot access by clicking through folder navigation.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

As the goal of the readability of a folder having those SP registrations is connecting that to drop downs, your question looks to me not logical.  Very nice and kind of you to mention those backgrounds.  Storing old versions/releases is a quick approach also seen at Windows as ICT solutions do not offer the solution the business is needed. Versioning and release management to implement for the business applications is not documented by SAS.  You could solve that very well with a levx segregation. It some more work but will fulfill all kind of normal requirements. I do not understand the objection at Sas for that. This will cleanup your folders a lot.

The next one is that sp's are only metadata regisitrations. You could define more of those for each user group be in different. Still sharing the same Sas source code. By that you can tailor a folder that way it only shows what that specific group of users is needing to see.

The thinking is the other way arround.

One caution is there with dynamic pull downs as the associated server is not needed the one you are assigning that. Makes no sense and that must be an error by SAS.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation