BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jas5
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

My data set looks like:

ID

event

Met_01

Start (days)

Stop (days)

Fu_time (stop-start)

When I am applying time varying Cox regression in SAS using following 2 codes then I am getting completely different Hazard Ratio (model 1: crude HR 0.95 and model 2:crude HR 0.74).

Model 1:

proc phreg data=test;

class met_01/ref=first;

model (start, stop) * event (0) = met_01/ties=EFRON RL;

run;

Model 2:

proc phreg data=test;

class met_01/ref=first;

model fu_time* event (0) = met_01/ties=EFRON RL;

run;

I am not sure which one is to consider. Any help on this will be highly appreciated. I am struggling on this point from a long time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

Both can be correct, but most likely you should use (start, stop).

It has to do with how you define the baseline hazard. If the baseline hazard should be a function of time since 0 then use (start, stop).

If the hazard functions should be reset, such it is a functio of time since last stop time then you can use your model 2. 

In far most cases, model 1 is the right way to go. 

For your second question about how the hazard ratio is calculated, the simple answer is that it is the maximum point of the Cox's partial likelihood function. The hazard ratio has no closed analytical form. Except in simple cases with very few events. In your case the estimated hazard ratio is the maximum point of the function (x/(1+2*x))*(1/(1+x)) which is sqrt(1/2). I dont get exactly same number as you mention btw, but I have tried run the SAS code and the solution is indeed sqrt(0.5)=0.707.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OsoGris
SAS Employee

I think you should go with the start, stop counting-process syntax.   Your data are already in that form. 

Jas5
Fluorite | Level 6

Does anyone know what is the formulae that SAS used at the back end to output Hazard Ratio from these 2 models? Thanks.

JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

Both can be correct, but most likely you should use (start, stop).

It has to do with how you define the baseline hazard. If the baseline hazard should be a function of time since 0 then use (start, stop).

If the hazard functions should be reset, such it is a functio of time since last stop time then you can use your model 2. 

In far most cases, model 1 is the right way to go. 

For your second question about how the hazard ratio is calculated, the simple answer is that it is the maximum point of the Cox's partial likelihood function. The hazard ratio has no closed analytical form. Except in simple cases with very few events. In your case the estimated hazard ratio is the maximum point of the function (x/(1+2*x))*(1/(1+x)) which is sqrt(1/2). I dont get exactly same number as you mention btw, but I have tried run the SAS code and the solution is indeed sqrt(0.5)=0.707.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation