BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
homipilot
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a dataset of individuals with a specific disease. The dataset comprises the variable "immigrant" which indicates the immigration status of the individual (immigrant = 0 and 1 for non-immigrant and immigrant status, respectively).

The dataset also includes immigrant-specific variables, that are the one with values only for the immigrants. For example, "immigration category" (imm_cat) is a variable indicating the immigration class of the individual. Obviously, the non-immigrants will not have any value for immigrant-specific variables.

The dataset has missing data in all of the variables, including the "immigrant" variable, which I will then use as an stratification for reporting the annual rates. The immigrant-specific variables also have missing data.

The missing data patterns is as follow:

Missing Data Patterns
rss_new  sex   age      immigrant     imm_cat     hiv_baseline      hiv       

Freq    Percent    age mean
XXXXXXX355085.8737.783380
XXXX.XX611.4834.393443
XXXX...80.1930.000000
XXX....50312.1734.242823
XX.....120.29.

Now, I am aiming to run the proc mi and do MICE for imputing the above variables in the dataset. I will indeed need to put a condition for the multiple imputation so that SAS will not impute the immigrant-specific variables for non-immigrants. The issue is that the "immigrant" variable itself has missing data. So, SAS should impute the immigrant-specific variables for observed immigrants as well as the imputed immigrants. I could not find any function in the proc mi allowing me to put condition on the imputated cells.  My question is that "what is the best approach to address this?"

I am copying below the basic proc mi I aimed initially to use:

proc mi data = dt  nimpute 25 out=test25  seed =54321   minimum = . . 0 . . . . .  maximum = . . 93 . . . . . ;

class rss_new sex immigrant imm_cat hiv_baseline hiv;

var rss_new sex age immigrant imm_cat hiv_baseline hiv

fcs discrim (immigrant  imm_cat  hiv_baseline  hiv / classeffects=include details) regpmm( age / details) nbiter = 1000;

fcs plots = trace(mean std);

run;

The problem with the above lines of codes is that they impute all the variables in the fcs statement without putting any condition (e.g., impute the immigrant-specific variables for only immigrant individuals). So, at the end of the imputation, for example, I am having some imputed values of imm_cat for some non-immigrant individuals.

Can anyone help me address this need, please?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

Unfortunately there is not an option within Proc MI to subset the imputation models based on a group variable that also has missing values.  There isn't necessarily a good way to handle your situation based on this and I do not know of any references that discuss how it should be approached.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation