BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jcm
Calcite | Level 5 jcm
Calcite | Level 5

I have scheduled jobs that run on Viya release 20230209.1675986674210 on MS Azure. Sometimes the "status" shows in "SAS Environment Manager \ Jobs and Flows \ Monitoring" as "Timed Out", as opposed to "Failed".  Usually if the status shows as "Failed", I see the "ERROR:" line in the SAS log. However, when the status has shown as "Timed Out", the SAS log hasn't contained any errors and the job looks to have executed successfully. The scheduled job performs read queries on an MS SQL database and also writes to the SQL database. What does the scheduler status message of "Timed Out" mean?

jcm_0-1676577015947.png

4 REPLIES 4
UE
SAS Employee UE
SAS Employee
Hi @jcm, thanks for using SAS Communities.

You wrote "the job looks to have executed successfully." do you mean that you are not 100% sure about it? Did you check if you find the expected data written in MS SQL by your query?

I understand that a log was generated for the timed out job and that there are no ERROR messages found in that log; it could be that INFO messages can be found in the log that could help to better understand what happened.
Could you search in the log for strings like "TimedOut" or "time out" even if no ERRORs are detected?
Could you share what you can find for further analysis or, better, are you able to share the log?

To view information about previous runs can you send the execution history and the properties of the job? Steps can be found here:
SAS Help Center: Jobs and Flows Page
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/sasadmincdc/v_037/evfun/n0b9cf8ru47gp6n1lvamxqwbr3by.htm#p11... ) 

Thanks.
FredrikHansson
Obsidian | Level 7
That was just a lengthy way of saying "I have no idea what status message 'Timed Out' means".
jcm
Calcite | Level 5 jcm
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for those who have replied to my question. After months of intermittently seeing the "Timed Out" message on the Viya scheduler with no error messages or adverse effects in the log (results of the scheduled job are produced and as expected), I surmise that the "Timed Out" message gets triggered when an SQL query takes longer to return results than Viya thinks it should.  There are other times with I get the "Timed Out" message and NO log is created on the scheduler - those are true issues because the scheduler never picked up the job to execute it. But in the scenario I was asking about, no harm, no foul. The message is simply a nuisance one.

FredrikHansson
Obsidian | Level 7

I also have issues with "Timed Out". In my case we didn't have one huge SQL-query but many few. That made it possible to work around the problem by splitting the job into two.
The status "Timed Out" should really be addressed as a bug or at least documented.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation