BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

We're running a SAS Visual Analytics 7.5 on linux environment since the beginning of 2020.

At the moment the HUB is loading very slowly, and the reports as not as fast anymore. Are there any logs which should be cleaned? What can i check?

Filip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for your answers, I did raise a track to SAS Support based on the feedback i received here i could give already some extra information

The solution was to clean up the environment: It seems we ran out of cache/memory space.

- Stop the SAS services
- Validate that all the sas services are stopped
- Clean the logs of the web application servers (where <x> refers to the number of the SASServer e.g. SASServer1_1, SASServer2_1, SASServer12_1, SASServer13_1)

* <SASConfig>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer<x>_1/temp/*
* <SASConfig>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer<x>_1/work/Catalina/localhost/*
* <SASConfig>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer<x>_1/logs/

- Clear the cache (https://www.tecmint.com/clear-ram-memory-cache-buffer-and-swap-space-on-linux/)

§   1. Clear PageCache only.
§   # sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
§   2. Clear dentries and inodes.
§   # sync; echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
§   3. Clear PageCache, dentries and inodes.
§   # sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Check VA Environment Manager, in particular your SAS VA web server. What is your CPU usage chart doing - are you hitting close to 100% a lot? Are there any alerts about performance?

Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

Which values should I select? I'm not familiar with using this Metric viewer.

Filipvdr_0-1603871117239.png

Filipvdr_1-1603871177077.png

Filipvdr_2-1603871214049.png

Filipvdr_3-1603871260084.png

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If there are no resources showing in the Favorite Resources panel of your Dashboard, just do an Auto-Discovery and that should populate all of your resources automatically. When I do that, Favorite Resources lists all of the SAS VA servers, then you just click on your SAS web server link to see all the resources for that including CPU usage.

Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

Could this be something? Since COVID, we are all working from home, through a VPN.

Is this network related?

Filipvdr_0-1604046103568.png

SASKiwi
PROC Star

To check if it is VPN-related, remotely connect to a computer inside your company's intranet and test VA performance there. If it is a lot faster then that might explain it. However if VPN is slow then I'd expect everything network-related on your VPN-connected computer to be slow and not just SAS VA: email, reading and saving to remote servers, web browsing etc.

I use VA over VPN and it performs fine as it doesn't produce a lot of network traffic.

Your HTTP chart looks really slow. Our VA HTTP chart averages 74ms - a lot faster than your 2.6s. Slow HTTP could be caused by many different things not just a slow network.

I suggest you raise a track with SAS Tech Support as they are in the best position to help you diagnose your problem.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16
Hi there,
in addition to the information shared by Jos (thanks), if youhave enabled VA auditing aka the VA administration reports, you might need schedule a periodic clean od the Audit dataon the WIPdatabases

This overhead fills in the JVMs and the final result is an incredibly slow login and applications. To increase to JVMs values help, but it is not the final solution.
Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for your answers, I did raise a track to SAS Support based on the feedback i received here i could give already some extra information

The solution was to clean up the environment: It seems we ran out of cache/memory space.

- Stop the SAS services
- Validate that all the sas services are stopped
- Clean the logs of the web application servers (where <x> refers to the number of the SASServer e.g. SASServer1_1, SASServer2_1, SASServer12_1, SASServer13_1)

* <SASConfig>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer<x>_1/temp/*
* <SASConfig>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer<x>_1/work/Catalina/localhost/*
* <SASConfig>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer<x>_1/logs/

- Clear the cache (https://www.tecmint.com/clear-ram-memory-cache-buffer-and-swap-space-on-linux/)

§   1. Clear PageCache only.
§   # sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
§   2. Clear dentries and inodes.
§   # sync; echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
§   3. Clear PageCache, dentries and inodes.
§   # sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation