BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Friends -

Can any one please help in completing the below SAS VA Sizing questionnaire ?

How can I get the details for below questionnaire ?

your help and support would be really appreciated.

Reporting Sessions

-----------------------
Exploiting largest data set                         # Concurrent sessions              Largest data size

Data related questions
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total size of the data that will be loaded onto the disk Data on Disk
Total size of data that will be lifted into the memory Data lifted to memory

I tried SAS VA Admin tool , SAS Designer and SMC Tools to find out, but still did not find correct details about this.

Thank you all in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @sasprofile ,

excellent questions, all of them. I will try to answer them below, but I will need some information as well.

Your questions:

Exploiting largest data set: this relates to schema if you have any.                       

# Concurrent sessions: in SAS 9.4 you can analyse this with SAS Environment Manager, Resources, SASServer12_1, Application Management, View, then you will see how many sessions are being used per application: the Builder, the ReportViewer, Explorer, etc. In SAS Viya it will be even easier. I suggest to look at different times, to get an average, and your peaks.  SAS Visual Analytics Administration Reports can give you this information as well.         

Largest data size: find your largest dataset in VA Administrator LAST Tables.

The size of a dataset in memory and on disk are not necessarily the same. It depends if you upload compressed or uncompressed, the encoding of your LASR/CAS session vs the encoding of the dataset on disk, and it depends on the queries over the dataset (SAS reserves memory for the dataset based on its usage/queries).

I would suggest to run the memory usage reports https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=bicdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=inmsref&docsetTarget=p050lknh5xep... and compare them with your proc contents data=your_library._all_;run;

My questions:

I understand you already have SAS VA and you need to upgrade it.

What version of SAS VA do you have? To what version are you upgrading, and why?

Mind the fact that if you upgrade to SAS Viya (SAS VA 8.x), the new CAS engine works internally with UTF-8 encoding, this means that your data has got good chances to be significantly larger, depending on the characters including in your datasets.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44565859/how-does-utf-8-encoding-identify-single-byte-and-double...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

All of these questions relate to usage of SAS in your organisation. If you don't have VA already then they are really only educated guesses anyway. You can't run some code or check a report to look them up. Your SAS administrator should be able to provide reasonable answers. If you don't plan to use mobile VA then "Not Applicable" is the right answer. 

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

SASKiwi -

Thanks for your response

We have SAS VA and we are upgrrding SAS VA, so for that we need the info about the questions I asked. Am SAS Admin but am not much familiar with SAS VA.

For most of the questions I found the answers, except those listed in the post.

Could any one help me from where I can get the info.

I tried SAS VA Admin tool, SAS VA Designer and SMC, but still i have some questions unanswered.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm assuming here you are using VA 7.x, not  VA on Viya. If youare running on Windows, Task Manager will tell you the number of concurrent users.

In SAS VA Administrator, in the Server tab it reports the total size of data loaded into LASR memory and in the tables tab sort the list of tables by size to get the size of the biggest dataset.

On your SAS VA App server, check the usage of your SAS data drives. 

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8
I'm using SAS Visual Anaytics 7.4 on Linux and not on Viya.

I already got details about largest dataset from SAS VA Admim too from LASR Tables Tab, but not able to find exactly below details. From where can I find these details, any clue. I looked for VA Admin, VA Designer and SMC.

Admin Sessions
-------------------
# Concurrent sessions

Reporting Sessions
-----------------------
# Concurrent sessions and Largest data size

Data related questions
--------------------------------------------
What is the total size of the data that will be loaded onto the disk Data on Disk ?

What is the total amount of data that will be lifted into the memory Data lifted to memory ?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What is the total size of the data that will be loaded onto the disk Data on Disk ?

Check your linux SAS VA data folders on disk. 

What is the total amount of data that will be lifted into the memory Data lifted to memory ?

Look in SAS VA Administrator - LASR Servers tab - Tables Memory column.

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

How can I achieve the Concurrent sessions for Admin sessions and Reporting sessions ?

and Largest Data size for Reporting sessions.

For Concurrent sessions do i need to check in Metadata server logs or any other easy method available.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @sasprofile ,

excellent questions, all of them. I will try to answer them below, but I will need some information as well.

Your questions:

Exploiting largest data set: this relates to schema if you have any.                       

# Concurrent sessions: in SAS 9.4 you can analyse this with SAS Environment Manager, Resources, SASServer12_1, Application Management, View, then you will see how many sessions are being used per application: the Builder, the ReportViewer, Explorer, etc. In SAS Viya it will be even easier. I suggest to look at different times, to get an average, and your peaks.  SAS Visual Analytics Administration Reports can give you this information as well.         

Largest data size: find your largest dataset in VA Administrator LAST Tables.

The size of a dataset in memory and on disk are not necessarily the same. It depends if you upload compressed or uncompressed, the encoding of your LASR/CAS session vs the encoding of the dataset on disk, and it depends on the queries over the dataset (SAS reserves memory for the dataset based on its usage/queries).

I would suggest to run the memory usage reports https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=bicdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=inmsref&docsetTarget=p050lknh5xep... and compare them with your proc contents data=your_library._all_;run;

My questions:

I understand you already have SAS VA and you need to upgrade it.

What version of SAS VA do you have? To what version are you upgrading, and why?

Mind the fact that if you upgrade to SAS Viya (SAS VA 8.x), the new CAS engine works internally with UTF-8 encoding, this means that your data has got good chances to be significantly larger, depending on the characters including in your datasets.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44565859/how-does-utf-8-encoding-identify-single-byte-and-double...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation