BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

Using an interactive bar chart heatmap to visualize snack product sales data

Started ‎04-27-2020 by
Modified ‎04-27-2020 by
Views 2,713

In my previous custom graph articles, I almost always focus on creating graphs that have multiple graph objects overlaid on top of each other.  However did you know that you can use the graph builder to create a single graph that has multiple elements side by side?  This uncommonly used feature allows developers to create interactive custom graphs that combine the power of multiple graph elements, all rolled into one!

For example, I like heatmaps and bar charts for different reasons.  Heat maps are great at showing values for two data items by using a table with colored cells.  Bar charts can display a data item's total values via the height of its bars. These two graph types each have unique ways of displaying data.  And if I could combine their powers into one interactive graph, now that would really be something! 

One way to achieve this is to use the Graph Builder to combine a heat map and two bar charts into a single graph!  Using the Graph Builder and the sashelp library's snacks data set, I was able to create the following report which shows the total sales of snacks by month and year:

barChartHeatmap06.gif

Get the details of how to re-create this chart in this SAS Communities Library article.

Comments

Nice work. I should have used that in related #infographic https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics-Gallery/New-York-City-Rodent-Inspection/ta-p/477... ! Back then - I just used a precision container to align charts this way. The graph template way seems more robust. Well done!

Thanks Falko!  Yes, the Graph Builder really empowers report developers to make some new, fantastic and interactive graphs that can be used in VA reports.  Cheers!

Thank you Mike! I will use and implement this for our current application. Cheers, Paul

Version history
Last update:
‎04-27-2020 12:08 PM
Updated by:
Contributors

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Article Labels
Article Tags