BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Franck1048
Fluorite | Level 6

We are currently in the process of evaluating the migration from SAS Base 9.4 to SAS Viya with cloud computing. If I understand correctly, the only coding interface available in SAS Viya is SAS Studio.

Now, I tried SAS Studio, and unless I'm missing something, the configuration options are quite limited. I can't reproduce a window arrangement to see the explorer, code, log and result viewer at the same time. Running code and switching between tabs to see the log and results seems inefficient. Furthermore, SAS Base might not be the prettiest interface but it's more responsive.

I attached a screenshot of an example of window arrangement we use for coding. Is there any way to setup the same workflow with SAS Viya?

Thank you

SAS_workflow.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Similar in SAS Studio

Reeza_0-1713456287412.png

You won't get the same functionality with the library navigation on the far right, but the process does allow you to more easily see output datasets. 

On the program tab, there's another tab that allows you to navigate to output datasets from the program specifically, which is nice as you're not filtering through multiple libraries in some cases.

Reeza_2-1713456445711.png

@Franck1048 wrote:

We are currently in the process of evaluating the migration from SAS Base 9.4 to SAS Viya with cloud computing. If I understand correctly, the only coding interface available in SAS Viya is SAS Studio.

Now, I tried SAS Studio, and unless I'm missing something, the configuration options are quite limited. I can't reproduce a window arrangement to see the explorer, code, log and result viewer at the same time. Running code and switching between tabs to see the log and results seems inefficient. Furthermore, SAS Base might not be the prettiest interface but it's more responsive.

I attached a screenshot of an example of window arrangement we use for coding. Is there any way to setup the same workflow with SAS Viya?

Thank you

SAS_workflow.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

@Franck1048 wrote:

I can't reproduce a window arrangement to see the explorer, code, log and result viewer at the same time. 

Explorer + Code + Log ... Yes, you can. 

I think adding the Results Viewer in the same browser screen (additional to Explorer + Code + Log) is not possible indeed.

SAS Studio allows you to :

• move tabs to be horizontally aligned (on top of another) or horizontally aligned (next to each other). Just by dragging.
  • change the preferences (Options > Preferences).
    Options > Preferences > SAS Programs : you can choose no split (single), a vertical split or a horizontal split for tab layout. But ... as said before ... always having the Results (even when there are none) next to Code & Log is not possible.

You claim there's only one coding interface (being SAS Studio) to SAS Viya , but that's not true.
There are several coding interfaces (Integrated Development Environments = IDEs) that you can use:

• there is SAS Studio
  • there is a SAS Extension for Visual Studio Code
  • there is Enterprise Guide access to Viya 4
  • you can use Jupyter Notebook
  • you can also set up NotePad++ as an editor
  • you can use RStudio with SAS Viya
  • ... probably there are other ways for coding against SAS Viya.

Koen

Reeza
Super User

Similar in SAS Studio

Reeza_0-1713456287412.png

You won't get the same functionality with the library navigation on the far right, but the process does allow you to more easily see output datasets. 

On the program tab, there's another tab that allows you to navigate to output datasets from the program specifically, which is nice as you're not filtering through multiple libraries in some cases.

Reeza_2-1713456445711.png

@Franck1048 wrote:

Thank you

SAS_workflow.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation