BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cphd
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, 

I am trying to generate a new variable in 20 different files. It seems that I can do it at once using a loop function. Would you please let me know how to do it? 

I have a 20 sas data files: file1-file20

I simply want to generate one variable in each file: Age = 2019- Byear 

data file1;
set file1;
age=2019-byear;
run;

* I am looking for a code to run the codes above at once for 20 files.;

Also, can anyone let me know how to change the format of each variables? I need to append the data (file1-file20) but it has an error due to different lengths... Is there anyway I can append them without losing any obs? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

Do all your files (they are sas data sets, right?) have identical variables?  If so, here is a non-macro-ized way to do it:

data newfile1 newfile2 ....   newfile20;
  set file1 (in=in1) file2 (in=in2) .... newfile20 (in=in20);
  age=2019-byear;
  if in1  then output newfile1;  else
  if in2  then output newfile2;  else
  if in20 then output newfile20;
run;

But that's a lot of typing, and requires that all the data sets have identical variables.  Here's a way that takes less typing and accommodates different variable collections between the data sets.  But it requires defining, and using, a macro:

%macro do_all_20;
  %do i=1 %to 20;
  data newfile&i;
    set file&i;
    age=2019-byear;
  run;
%mend;
%do_all_20;

The first program runs a single data step, inputting (and outputting) 20 datasets.  The second runs 20 data steps, each with one input and output dataset.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mkeintz
PROC Star

Do all your files (they are sas data sets, right?) have identical variables?  If so, here is a non-macro-ized way to do it:

data newfile1 newfile2 ....   newfile20;
  set file1 (in=in1) file2 (in=in2) .... newfile20 (in=in20);
  age=2019-byear;
  if in1  then output newfile1;  else
  if in2  then output newfile2;  else
  if in20 then output newfile20;
run;

But that's a lot of typing, and requires that all the data sets have identical variables.  Here's a way that takes less typing and accommodates different variable collections between the data sets.  But it requires defining, and using, a macro:

%macro do_all_20;
  %do i=1 %to 20;
  data newfile&i;
    set file&i;
    age=2019-byear;
  run;
%mend;
%do_all_20;

The first program runs a single data step, inputting (and outputting) 20 datasets.  The second runs 20 data steps, each with one input and output dataset.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

cphd
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for sharing the code. I used the macro function to do it but you forgot to add %end at the end. Here is the code that I used for the reference for future users. 

%macro all20;
  %do i=1 %to 20;
  data newfile&i;
    set file&i;
    age=2019-byear;
  run;
%end
%mend all20;
%all20;

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Something like below should do the job.

To deal with the different lenghts: Use a LENGTH statement prior to the SET statement and there define the max length from any of the source tables.

data file1 file2 file3;
  set sashelp.class;
  testvar='1';
run;

data file4;
  set sashelp.class;
  testvar='22';
run;

data want;
  length testvar $2;
  set file1 - file4 indsname=_sourceFile;
  newar=2019-age;
  length sourceFile $32;
  sourceFile=_sourceFile;
run;
Reeza
Super User

Is there a reason to keep these 20 files separate? Can you combine them and then process everything together, which seems like the most efficient solution. If not you could look into a macro (see tutorials below) or examples of loops in the second link. 

This would run the code for all file data sets but the output would all be stored in a single output data set, called file_combined.

data file_combined;
set file1-file20 indsname=source;

dsn_source = source; age = 2019-byear; run;

Tutorial on converting a working program to a macro

This method is pretty robust and helps prevent errors and makes it much easier to debug your code. Obviously biased, because I wrote it 🙂 https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Turning%20a%20program%20into%20a%20macro.md

Examples of common macro usage

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-9-4-Macro-Language-Reference-Has-a-New-Ap...

@cphd wrote:

Hi all, 

I am trying to generate a new variable in 20 different files. It seems that I can do it at once using a loop function. Would you please let me know how to do it? 

I have a 20 sas data files: file1-file20

I simply want to generate one variable in each file: Age = 2019- Byear 

data file1;
set file1;
age=2019-byear;
run;

* I am looking for a code to run the codes above at once for 20 files.;

Also, can anyone let me know how to change the format of each variables? I need to append the data (file1-file20) but it has an error due to different lengths... Is there anyway I can append them without losing any obs? Thank you. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation