BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JuanaPrada
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all - ¿How can I connect files from a web server to sas viya? I want to automatically capture the log files in .gz, and then process them (ex: domain.com-2024-04-11.gz).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @JuanaPrada 
In a typical webserver log files are not exposed over the web. The appropriate way would be to use scp.

If you are using Viya 4, one approach would be scp using your jump box (if that is permissible ) and copy to appropriate folder in /viya-share .
However if it is Viya 3.x scp would be much simpler process.

For exact details applicable do consult the system admin on the web server side and do include you Viya Admin in planning and implementation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JuanaPrada
Fluorite | Level 6
Firstly, I would like to express my gratitude for your response Kurt. I believe it’s a suitable solution. Now, I’m curious about how I can unzip the .gz files (e.g., domain.com-2024-04-11.gz) on SAS Viya. These files are actually .txt, but I would like to automate the loading and decompression process for further processing. I understand that you’re proposing to connect to the server and then assemble a bash script to unzip the files, right?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First, I would define a file reference with FILENAME URL. Then I would use that reference in a DATA step in the INFILE statement with the GZIP option. This should perform the download and uncompress in one action.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @JuanaPrada 
In a typical webserver log files are not exposed over the web. The appropriate way would be to use scp.

If you are using Viya 4, one approach would be scp using your jump box (if that is permissible ) and copy to appropriate folder in /viya-share .
However if it is Viya 3.x scp would be much simpler process.

For exact details applicable do consult the system admin on the web server side and do include you Viya Admin in planning and implementation.

JuanaPrada
Fluorite | Level 6

The solution I have obtained was to create a simple bash task using linux command-line tools to establish the ssh connection, copy the files from the server to the local folder (scp) and then unzip them (gunzip). Later I created the connection for data import in SAS Viya. The first option through FILENAME URL is not possible because "The access method "SOCKET is disabled when SAS is in the lockdown state".

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Note that once you have local files you should be able to skip the gunzip step.  SAS can read gzipped text files directly by just using the ZIP fileref engine with the GZIP option.

In normal SAS code that would look something like:

filename mylog zip 'mylog.log.gz' gzip;

or if writing your own data step you can skip the FILENAME statement and reference the file directly in the INFILE statement adding the ZIP engine and GZIP option there instead. Like this:

infile 'mylog.log.gz' zip gzip;
JuanaPrada
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Tom,

I sincerely appreciate your value observation. Upon thorough examination and careful consideration, I have concluded that the most prudent and effective approach would be to PROC LIBRARY step because depends on several factors, such as file size, access frequency, processing needs, and execution environment. For small files and occasional access, INFILE is the simplest and most efficient option. For medium or large files, or when complex processing is required, PROC ZIP or PROC LIBRARY are better options. If flexible file access or control over processing is needed, the SAS Viya REST API or SAS Event Stream may be more suitable alternatives. In other words, to summarize:

Factor

infile

proc zip

proc library

SAS Viya REST API

SAS Event Stream

File size

Small

Medium/Large

Medium/Large

Any

Any

Access frequency

Occasional

Frequent

Frequent

Variable

Frequent

Processing needs

Basic

Complex

Variable

Complex

Complex

Execution environment

SAS Studio, SAS Enterprise Guide

SAS Viya

SAS Viya

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation