BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, charus for your such a nice comment! I am glad you liked it.

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Awesome @LeonidBatkhan
After reading this article, I wish SAS launch Relativity Mode in the future 😀.

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, Kalind_Patel,

The "relativity mode" has always been in SAS from its inception: just use proper spacing and watch your timing. 😄

Johndberglund
Fluorite | Level 6

Fun post. Blame me not finding it until now on warped spacetime. 

After some thought I realized that we can continue this embedding. Here are three steps deep:

data AAA;
   set SASHELP.CARS;
   where ORIGIN eq 'Asia';
   data BBB;
      merge AAA SASHELP.CARS;
      by MAKE;
      where TYPE eq 'Truck';
      proc sql;
         create table CCC as (select Make, Model, MSRP from BBB);
      quit;
   run;
run;

I'm reminded of somebody who said

"Every flea has smaller fleas, upon their backs to bite 'em.

And those fleas and smaller fleas, and so ad infinitum."

One further warning - if you use the "Format Code" button on the final SAS code, it ceases working completely. I gather the black hole sucks everything in. (black holes really suck.)

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Johndberglund,

You got it!

However, when I applied code formatting (I don't have the Code Format button in my EG so I had to use Edit -> Format Code) to the last code, I got the following:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;
%let time = LINE;
;
%let s=%length(&TIME);
;

data B;
	;
	input;
	;
	TYPE = 'Gravity';
	;
	&time.s&s;
	;

data A;
	;
	TYPE = 'Light';
	;
run;
;
run;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

which worked as fine as before the code formatting. Apparently, it depends on the state you were in when running your code.  (I am in Maryland). Or time of day. Or anything else. In any case, it just reaffirms that theory or relativity is closely related to the the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle...

SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

@LeonidBatkhan @Johndberglund   Format code works in California too (at least right-clicking and selecting Format Code from the pull-down menu in EG 7.1 or 8.2 works). I was disappointed. I was really hoping to see a black hole up close. The search goes on....

Johndberglund
Fluorite | Level 6

Ah. Curiouser and curiouser.

It seems that SAS has very special relativity - the result may be relative to which system you are using. In SAS Studio we get something like this:

________

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
%let time = LINE;
;
%let s=%length(&TIME);
;
data B;
;
input;
;
TYPE = 'Gravity';
;
&time.s&s;
;
data A;
;
TYPE = 'Light';
;
run;
;
run ;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;

leelee
SAS Employee

Hi Leonid,

I know, I am a little late reading this article, but I really liked it and found it to be very funny and educational at the same time! 

I do have a very serious question, though, about the equation in the image at the beginning of your article, which I found so intriguing and would like to prove, but I need a little help:

In the equation

E = M&Ms * (SAS)2

Does the variable M&M represent mass, or more specifically, a body’s resistance to acceleration based on the amount of M&Ms a body at SAS has consumed over time?

And … are the variables

E and M&Ms

equivalent since SAS operates at the speed of light, and is always constant and dependable?

🙂

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, leelee, for your very thoughtful comment (up until now I thought that everyone took this picture for granted).

You say, you are "a little late reading this article". However, relatively speaking, you are a month early...

And the answer to your question is Yes. No

😀

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@LeonidBatkhan - Are you deviating into quantum mechanics where the answer can be yes and no at the same time? Adding Schrodinger's cat would be very entertaining...😉

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@SASKiwi, I am glad you chimed in. You got it almost right, with the reversed precision: my answer was "not yes and not no" at the same time. 🙂 I like the idea you suggested (even though I prefer dogs over cats), although I wouldn't call it "deviation" as these are all parts of the same - our pitiful attempt to explain the inexplicable world.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@LeonidBatkhan - True. Particularly since general relativity doesn't work in the sub-atomic realm so a theory of quantum gravity is required.

I'm also wondering when SAS will be available on quantum computers. That would be pretty awesome!

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SASKiwi,

I think SAS will be available on quantum computers as soon as quantum computers will be available for SAS.

LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi SASKiwi,

As you suggested, I just deviated into quantum mechanics with this new post:

To be and not to be – the uncertainty principle in SAS

mkeintz
PROC Star

This is great.  I'm going to tell ALL my relatives.

Most of them quit after  

E=mb2x.jpg

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats