BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Gregorytus07
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there,

I am trying to conduct a sensitivity analysis to assess the impact of an unmeasured confounder on the relationship between exposure (E) and outcome (Y). To estimate this effect, I utilized the proc genmod procedure in SAS, adjusting for covariates such as age, sex, and comorbidities. However, a recognized confounder, namely fluid volume (a continuous variable), has not been measured. I am seeking assistance with SAS code specifically tailored for performing the sensitivity analysis. The fluid volume can vary from 0 to 2000, with an average of 500. The outcome variable is binary - 0 or 1.

I appreciate any assistance in this matter.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

When you say "unmeasured" that makes me want to ask do you have a any variable in your data set with those values? If not, I am not sure how you expect SAS to analyze something that is not there at all.

Gregorytus07
Fluorite | Level 6

@ballardw Thanks for your feedback. The variable is not measured in our dataset at all. However, I read about methods of using sensitivity analysis for unmeasured confounding by Lui et al (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3800481/). Also, I learned from literature that the method proposed by VanderWeele (https://journals.lww.com/epidem/fulltext/2016/05000/sensitivity_analysis_without_assumptions.11.aspx... using the E-value is widely recommended. Just trying to figure out how to actually do the analysis in SAS.

Thanks for your help.

MelissaM
Obsidian | Level 7

In the manuscript you mentioned by Liu, et al, starting as the 3rd paragraph below "Setting, Assumption, and Notation", it lists the notation that will be used. Table 1 shows where each of those is necessary, as does most of the rest of the publication. There are five approaches to take, depending on which one you feel comfortable with in terms of obtaining the parameters related to fluid volume. The parameters are not just the range (0-2000) and the average (500). You'll also need to factor in prevalence in both those who had the event and those who did not, which is likely not readily available. The way I'm reading it, the assumptions don't work well. Also, keep in mind, fluid volume is almost definitely not the only confounder. I'll stop there because I think that's sufficient. Bottom line, I don't believe any of those methods - or any method - can estimate anything that was not measured in any of the groups. Realistically speaking, we cannot predict an event reliably using demographics.  

Gregorytus07
Fluorite | Level 6

@MelissaM I appreciate your feedback. Your observation regarding the relevance of the assumptions in the article to our context is valid. While the article does propose a method to account for an unmeasured continuous variable, the procedure appears intricate and necessitates specifying more conditions than we are able to handle.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation