BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dennis_oz
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

Please can you advice.

/* When I execute the below code it errors , how can I avoid the below error through code . The below data is read externally and I have no control . However , can you suggest something to overcome the above issue programmatically . */

ERROR: The ID value "'Anti smoking prdcts Freq Buy Eve'n" occurs twice in the input data set.

data foo;
infile datalines delimiter=',';
input F1 $:100. no1 no2 ;
datalines;
Anti smoking prdcts Freq Buy Every 2 to 3 months,10,20
Anti smoking prdcts Freq Buy Every 4 to 6 months,30,40
Hair loss prev prod Freq Buy Every 2 to 3 months,40,50
Hair loss prev prod Freq Buy Every 4 to 6 months,60,70
run;

proc transpose data=foo out=foo1;
id f1;
run;

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

That text looks more of a descriptive report header, than something suitable for a column name.

Question, why are transposing?

Perhaps you need to create a report, and do the pivoting in PROC REPORT/TABULATE etc.

Otherwise, you should clean/transform your data so you get values that are appropriate for columns names. And then use the existing text as label instead in the PROC TRANSPOSE output.

Data never sleeps
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Post what you want your desired output to be, as a self-contained SAS datastep using datalines statement, posted using the "Insert SAS code" icon.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
ballardw
Super User

@dennis_oz wrote:

Hi all,

Please can you advice.

/* When I execute the below code it errors , how can I avoid the below error through code . The below data is read externally and I have no control . However , can you suggest something to overcome the above issue programmatically . */

ERROR: The ID value "'Anti smoking prdcts Freq Buy Eve'n" occurs twice in the input data set.

data foo;
infile datalines delimiter=',';
input F1 $:100. no1 no2 ;
datalines;
Anti smoking prdcts Freq Buy Every 2 to 3 months,10,20
Anti smoking prdcts Freq Buy Every 4 to 6 months,30,40
Hair loss prev prod Freq Buy Every 2 to 3 months,40,50
Hair loss prev prod Freq Buy Every 4 to 6 months,60,70
run;

proc transpose data=foo out=foo1;
id f1;
run;

SAS currently has a hard limit of 32 characters for a variable name. Your values are identical up to the 32d character as that is all SAS can use to make a variable name from an ID in Proc Transpose. ID values cannot be duplicated within a By group, or without at By group, not duplicated at all. So choices are 1) shorten the text 2) move the time period information to within the first 32 characters so it is included in the shortened version that will be created for variable name, 3) us MUCH shorter text and assign a long Label to the created variable, or 4) one of the report options as mentioned by others.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation