BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JennieWalker
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all

I am seeking advice on how to output a row based on the AVLAC value by SUBJID.  Each subject has 3 rows corresponding to different visit days. I would like to output the first row (earliest ADY)  by SUBJID when AVALC= “Y”. If this condition is met, I would like to move to the next subject. If the condition is not met, then I would like to output a row where AVLAC= “N”.

For example, using the below dataset I would like to output three rows - one for each subject.

SUBJID

ADY

AVALC

PARAMCD

AVISIT

N

GOAL

WEEK 1

Y

GOAL

WEEK 2

N

GOAL

WEEK 3

Y

GOAL

WEEK 1

Y

GOAL

WEEK 2

N

GOAL

WEEK 3

N

GOAL

WEEK 1

N

GOAL

WEEK 2

N

GOAL

WEEK 3

Desired output...

SUBJID

ADY

AVALC

PARAMCD

AVISIT

Y

GOALMET

POSTBASE BEST VALUE

Y

GOALMET

POSTBASE BEST VALUE

N

GOALMET

POSTBASE BEST VALUE

So far my code falls short – with the below code I am outputting all rows where AVALC= “Y”.

data ds2; 
  do until (last.SUBJID);
  set ds1;

by SUBJID;

if AVALC="Y" then do;
      PARAMCD="GOALMET";
      AVISIT="POSTBASE BEST VALUE";
    output;
    end;

end;
run;

Thanks in advance for your time!

Jennie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Please post data as data step code. Or at least plain text. What ever source you copy those values from becomes impossible to use in  creating data step code without retyping everything and I'm too lazy to do that.

Why does the value of ADY become missing for Subjid 3?

If the value of Paramcd and Avisit in the output are exactly the same for all observations why bother to have them? Note that without actual data I suspect that the length of Avisit may very well not be long enough to hold the value "POSTBASE BEST VALUE" and quite possibly the same for Paramcd.

I think this matches your selection logic. Note this requires the input data set to be sorted by Subjid and Avisit.

data want;
   set have;
   by subjid;
   retain selected;
   if first.subjid the selected=0;
   if avalc='Y' and selected=0 then do;
      /* attempt to set Paramcd and Avisit if needed 
         goes here
      */
      output;
      selected=1;
   end;
   if last.subjid and selected=0 then do;
         goes here
      */      
      output;
   end;
   drop selected;
run;

When data is used with By group processing SAS provides automatic temporary variables First. and Last. for each variable on the By statement. These are 1/0 valued for true/false so can be used to do things conditionally for the first or last observation of a group. In this case we are setting a flag for a Retained variable, the value will be kept across the data step boundary so keeps whether we have already a selected a value for the Subjid to output. If we get to the last of the Subjid and have not selected a record for output based on Avalc then it outputs the last record for the Subjid.

I did not include code to reset values for Paramcd and Avisit because of the comments I made above. Replace the comments with assignments to do so. I also did not assign a value for ADY because no rule was provided to such when Avalc was never Y

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Please post data as data step code. Or at least plain text. What ever source you copy those values from becomes impossible to use in  creating data step code without retyping everything and I'm too lazy to do that.

Why does the value of ADY become missing for Subjid 3?

If the value of Paramcd and Avisit in the output are exactly the same for all observations why bother to have them? Note that without actual data I suspect that the length of Avisit may very well not be long enough to hold the value "POSTBASE BEST VALUE" and quite possibly the same for Paramcd.

I think this matches your selection logic. Note this requires the input data set to be sorted by Subjid and Avisit.

data want;
   set have;
   by subjid;
   retain selected;
   if first.subjid the selected=0;
   if avalc='Y' and selected=0 then do;
         goes here
      */
      output;
      selected=1;
   end;
   if last.subjid and selected=0 then do;
         goes here
      */      
      output;
   end;
   drop selected;
run;

When data is used with By group processing SAS provides automatic temporary variables First. and Last. for each variable on the By statement. These are 1/0 valued for true/false so can be used to do things conditionally for the first or last observation of a group. In this case we are setting a flag for a Retained variable, the value will be kept across the data step boundary so keeps whether we have already a selected a value for the Subjid to output. If we get to the last of the Subjid and have not selected a record for output based on Avalc then it outputs the last record for the Subjid.

I did not include code to reset values for Paramcd and Avisit because of the comments I made above. Replace the comments with assignments to do so. I also did not assign a value for ADY because no rule was provided to such when Avalc was never Y

JennieWalker
Fluorite | Level 6

Fantastic code! Thank you so much.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation