BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JennieWalker
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all

I am seeking advice/suggestions on how to duplicate rows for a parameter if a subject did not do a scheduled test. I have a long dataset with multiple records per subject reporting the results of an ECG (heart rate, QT interval, QRS duration…). Some subjects did not do the ECG test at the scheduled time and have only a single row with the reason why the test was not done (shown in bold). The current dataset looks like the one below.

SUBJID

VISIT

PARAM

VAL

RSN

Screening

Heart rate

X1

Screening

QT interval

Y1

Screening

QRS duration

Z1

Day 49

Heart rate

X2

Day 49

QT interval

Y2

Day 49

QRS duration

Z2

Day 35

ECG

Not done

Not done

I would like to duplicate Day 35, where the test was not done (shown in bold), for each of the parameters. The desired dataset is shown below.

SUBJID

VISIT

PARAM

VAL

RSN

Screening

Heart rate

X1

Screening

QT interval

Y1

Screening

QRS duration

Z1

Day 49

Heart rate

X2

Day 49

QT interval

Y2

Day 49

QRS duration

Z2

Day 35

Heart rate

Not done

Not done

Day 35

QT interval

Not done

Not done

Day 35

QRS duration

Not done

Not done

I did this a very long way but I feel there is something better. The steps I took to do this are below.

1. DS1. Added a column “Join” = “ECG” for the join in DS4.
  2. DS2. Created a dataset from DS1 keeping only records ‘where VAL= “Not Done” '
  3. DS3. Created a dataset from DS1 of unique parameters (‘select distinct PARAM’) - in this example there are 3
  4. DS4. ‘Inner join’ DS2 and DS3 on the ‘Join’ variable 
  5. DS5. Kept records from DS1 ‘where VAL ne “Not done”’
  6. DS6. Append DS4 and DS5

Any suggestions/tips/advice for a better approach are welcome!

Thanks in advance for your time

Jennie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

IF your starting data does not have more than one observation when you have that Param=ECG and Not done values then something like this should suffice:

data want;
   set have;
   if Param='ECG' and Val='Not done' then do;
      Param='Heart rate'; output;
      Param='QT interval'; output;
      Param='QRS duration'; output;
   end;
else output; run;

The OUTPUT statement tells SAS to write to the output destination when encountered. If change the value of one variable, such as Param, all the others stay the same and are written to the output such as the Subjid, Visit, Value and Rsn

Since you want to write 3 values then 3 outputs.

However, if you have other stuff for day 35, because you didn't show the next observations, then this may not be quite correct.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

IF your starting data does not have more than one observation when you have that Param=ECG and Not done values then something like this should suffice:

data want;
   set have;
   if Param='ECG' and Val='Not done' then do;
      Param='Heart rate'; output;
      Param='QT interval'; output;
      Param='QRS duration'; output;
   end;
else output; run;

The OUTPUT statement tells SAS to write to the output destination when encountered. If change the value of one variable, such as Param, all the others stay the same and are written to the output such as the Subjid, Visit, Value and Rsn

Since you want to write 3 values then 3 outputs.

However, if you have other stuff for day 35, because you didn't show the next observations, then this may not be quite correct.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation