BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kkk35
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

Could anyone help - how to handle a variable with hyphen generated over transformation?

My requirement is as follows:

ABC-150 variable has been generated over the transformation by  proc transpose in SAS studio. I need to use this variable for further processing.

I have been using the option validvarname=any in sas studio,  unable to convert to sas compatible naming convention

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

With validvarname set to ANY, you refer to the variable as

'ABC-150'n

Note that there must be quotes around the variable name, followed by the letter n. As you may find out, it is much easier to not work with variable names like this, they are more difficult to type (more letters, and more opportunity for typographical errors especially for me I often mistype the quotes), and in my opinion you would be wise to rename this variable to ABC_150, or even more simple (gasp!) ABC150.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

With validvarname set to ANY, you refer to the variable as

'ABC-150'n

Note that there must be quotes around the variable name, followed by the letter n. As you may find out, it is much easier to not work with variable names like this, they are more difficult to type (more letters, and more opportunity for typographical errors especially for me I often mistype the quotes), and in my opinion you would be wise to rename this variable to ABC_150, or even more simple (gasp!) ABC150.

--
Paige Miller
kkk35
Calcite | Level 5
Great! It works. Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation