BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
darklord
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I want to find repeated users who always do cash withdrawals between set weeks.

Right now I have it set up in a way where I have created tables for each week containing userid, transaction type and dates.

Tables: W1,W2,W3

Now to find the same users present every week I figure an inner join between the tables would do the job

PROC SQL;
Select a.id
FROM W1 A JOIN W2 B ON.. JOIN W3 C ON..
WHERE transaction type = ;
QUIT;

I assume this would give the common users each week?

But what if I have created one big table with all the dates included. How would I go about in finding the repeated users each week?

Would keeping the tables separate make more sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

IF you have actual SAS date values then Proc Summary and a careful selection of format should work for a long data set as described to find repeated users for a given week. This is the approach I would take instead of working with multiple tables.

Proc summary data=have nway;
   class idvariable datevariable;
   format datevariable weeku5. ;
   output out=want (drop=_type_ where=(_freq_>1));
run;

There are 3 different week formats, WeekU WeekV and WeekW with the differences being how the weeks crossing the calendar year are treated and the start day of a week.

The output data set will have the two class variables and the automatic variable _freq_ for the count of the number of observations that have the class variable combination. The date variable will look something like 19W03 (week 3 of 2019) but is still a date variable and changing the format will make it appear "nicer".

If you don't like the format approach to creating group you could take another step in a data step or sql to use the INTNX function to add a variable that represents the start or end day of a week and use that to group on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

IF you have actual SAS date values then Proc Summary and a careful selection of format should work for a long data set as described to find repeated users for a given week. This is the approach I would take instead of working with multiple tables.

Proc summary data=have nway;
   class idvariable datevariable;
   format datevariable weeku5. ;
   output out=want (drop=_type_ where=(_freq_>1));
run;

There are 3 different week formats, WeekU WeekV and WeekW with the differences being how the weeks crossing the calendar year are treated and the start day of a week.

The output data set will have the two class variables and the automatic variable _freq_ for the count of the number of observations that have the class variable combination. The date variable will look something like 19W03 (week 3 of 2019) but is still a date variable and changing the format will make it appear "nicer".

If you don't like the format approach to creating group you could take another step in a data step or sql to use the INTNX function to add a variable that represents the start or end day of a week and use that to group on.

darklord
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello,
Thanks for this. It did help in the frequency of the users. Which helped in giving a nice picture of the repeat ones.

I decided not to put the date in since it wasn't very much needed 🙂
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11

To answer the SQL/Design part of it, no.  I would have one big table with the value of a week field differentiating between weeks. 

I would try to go down the road @ballardw is suggesting.

If you don't want to do that or don't understand it:

data transactions;
   input week customerid;
datalines;
1 1
2 1
3 1
4 1
5 1
6 1
1 2
3 2
6 2
;
run;

proc sql;
select 
customerid
from 
transactions
where
week >=2 and week<=4
group by customerid
having count(customerid) = 3;
quit; 

shows that 

customerid

Customer 1 is your loyal weekly with this data.

darklord
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello,
Thanks for the help, I did end up using what
@ballardw suggested and it worked well!
Should keep summary in mind for next time use!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation