BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
juanvg1972
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I would like to know which is needed to execute SAS processes in a Hadoop cluster.

I can convert my data setps and proc sql to proc ds2 processes but I want to know if I need some especial licenses in Hadoop to work with SAS.     SAS HPA??, SAS/ACCESS to Hadoop?, SAS in-database? any other? is any of these free ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewHowell

I'm doing the same thing - understanding the relationship between SAS & Hadoop and coming up with best practices to get programmers to use Hadoop effectively without creating horrendous SQL joins with non-Hadoop tables & causing massive I/O pipeline blockages..

I suggest you review the following documentation:

• SAS and Hadoop technology: Deployment Scenarios (to understand your infrastructure)
  • SAS 9.4 In-Database Products: Administrator's Guide (especially Ch 5: Administrator's Guide for Hadoop)
  • SAS and Hadoop Technology: Overview (especially Ch 4: What SAS Technology interacts with Hadoop?)
  • SAS LASR Analytic Server 2.7: Reference Guide (which explains the in-memory procedures)

None of the software is "free" - there is some Hadoop functionality which comes with Base/SAS, but ideally you'd require at least the SAS/Access to Hadoop engine, and - depending on your requirements - possibly some in-database accelerators.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AndrewHowell

I'm doing the same thing - understanding the relationship between SAS & Hadoop and coming up with best practices to get programmers to use Hadoop effectively without creating horrendous SQL joins with non-Hadoop tables & causing massive I/O pipeline blockages..

I suggest you review the following documentation:

• SAS and Hadoop technology: Deployment Scenarios (to understand your infrastructure)
  • SAS 9.4 In-Database Products: Administrator's Guide (especially Ch 5: Administrator's Guide for Hadoop)
  • SAS and Hadoop Technology: Overview (especially Ch 4: What SAS Technology interacts with Hadoop?)
  • SAS LASR Analytic Server 2.7: Reference Guide (which explains the in-memory procedures)

None of the software is "free" - there is some Hadoop functionality which comes with Base/SAS, but ideally you'd require at least the SAS/Access to Hadoop engine, and - depending on your requirements - possibly some in-database accelerators.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

My (limited) understanding is that in-database processing requires its namesake license, which is apparently now par of SAS® Data Loader for Hadoop.

SAS/ACCESS to Hadoop is the interface to Hive. 

SAS/ACCESS to Impala is useful too to speed up queries.  

None of these are free.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation