BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
skavli
Calcite | Level 5

Hi y'all i hope you're doing fine,

I'm working on a cars database and i'm having a little hard time extract name and surname of cars, my table looks like this :

Brand

CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS
DS3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE
OPEL GRANDLAND X

Now i wanna create two variables one named Make ( for the brand name ) and the other Model (for the brand model), so far so good for the Make ( because it's the first string before the space ) so with this i've succeeded getting my Make

Make = scan(brand,1,' ');

Now it's a little bit harder to for the model i've had few ideas but none was effective, for my model variable i want everything after the first space, i thought first to ease the process use tranwrd function and replace all my spaces with a underscore but it replaces also the space in the end with underscore, for the substr function i need the position for each observation wich a little bit hard  since each observation is different.

Do you have any hint for me to make this work and all the strings after the first space please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use CALL SCAN and then SUBSTR:

data have;
input brand $50.;
datalines;
CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS
DS3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE
OPEL GRANDLAND X
;

data want;
set have;
make = scan(brand,1);
call scan(brand,1,p,l);
model = substr(brand,l+2);
drop p l;
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use CALL SCAN and then SUBSTR:

data have;
input brand $50.;
datalines;
CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS
DS3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE
OPEL GRANDLAND X
;

data want;
set have;
make = scan(brand,1);
call scan(brand,1,p,l);
model = substr(brand,l+2);
drop p l;
run;
skavli
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks that works perfectly, i gotta go see what that call function do and remember it.
Greetings sir
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Try

model = substr(brand, length(make)+2);

You could, of course, use a regular expression:

data want;
   set have;

length rx 8 make model $ 50;
   retain rx;
   drop rx;

if _n_ = 1 then do;
      rx = prxparse('/(\S+) (.+)/');
   end;

if prxmatch(rx, brand) then do;
      make = prxposn(rx, 1, brand);
      model = prxposn(rx, 2, brand);
   end;
run;
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@skavli wrote:

Hi y'all i hope you're doing fine,

I'm working on a cars database and i'm having a little hard time extract name and surname of cars, my table looks like this :

Brand

CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS
DS3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE
OPEL GRANDLAND X

Now i wanna create two variables one named Make ( for the brand name ) and the other Model (for the brand model), so far so good for the Make ( because it's the first string before the space ) so with this i've succeeded getting my Make

Make = scan(brand,1,' ');

Now it's a little bit harder to for the model i've had few ideas but none was effective, for my model variable i want everything after the first space, i thought first to ease the process use tranwrd function and replace all my spaces with a underscore but it replaces also the space in the end with underscore, for the substr function i need the position for each observation wich a little bit hard  since each observation is different.

Do you have any hint for me to make this work and all the strings after the first space please ?

Edit your original post, using a SAS datastep with datalines statements to create your sample dataset.  Don't paste in a screenshot since if forces *us* to create *your* sample dataset.  Post using the "Insert SAS code" icon.

data have;
   length somevariable $200;
   somevariable='foo    bar blah';
run;

data want1;
   set have;
   length make $100 model $100;
   pos=index(somevariable,' ');
   if pos then do;
      make=substr(somevariable,1,pos);
      model=substr(somevariable,pos+1);
      model=strip(model);
   end;
run;

data want2;
   set have;
   length make $100 model $100;
   rx=prxparse('/(.*?) (.*)/o');
   if prxmatch(rx,somevariable) then do;
      make=prxposn(rx,1,somevariable);
      model=prxposn(rx,2,somevariable);
   end;
run;

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation