BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Wub_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, my SAS skill is a beginner and I am looking for any good guide/workflow material which I can adapt to have a robust data cleaning and management procedure and documentation. If anyone has any suggestion, I will be very grateful to know. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS has a product for data cleaning called SAS Data Quality. Unfortunately, I doubt you would have it available to you and the documentation does not include "how to" guides for particular techniques.

I suggest you start with one use case, say cleaning one column. The first step would be analyse the data in the column and if it is a character column, report on the distinct values like this:

proc freq data = MyData;
  table MyColumn / missing;
run;

Then you need to compare the report with what values you expect that column to have, so you can now identify the values that are errors. 

ballardw
Super User

A book that may be of interest:  https://support.sas.com/en/books/reference-books/codys-data-cleaning-techniques-using-sas.html

There are some excerpts available for download but the book needs to be purchased for everything.

Wub_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you very much! I like the excerpts and plan to buy the book.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation