BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Steelersgirl
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to create a new column of batting average and round the column to three decimal places. This is the code I have been trying, but it is returning "0.3" for every value in the Batting Average column. 

PROC sql; 
SELECT name, team, round (nhits / natbat,0.3) as batavg label="Batting Average"
FROM sashelp.baseball
ORDER BY batavg desc;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @Steelersgirl  - I think your problem here is you're misunderstanding how the round function works. The second argument is the rounding unit and not the number of decimal places you want. You can see how this works if you look at the section titled "producing Expected Results" in. this link -> https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=p0tj6cmga7p8qln1ejh6ebevm0c9.htm...

What you want is a rounding unit of 0.001 as in the code below

proc sql; 
 	SELECT name, team, round (nhits / natbat,0.001) as batavg label="Batting Average"
 	FROM sashelp.baseball
 	ORDER BY batavg desc;
quit;

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @Steelersgirl  - I think your problem here is you're misunderstanding how the round function works. The second argument is the rounding unit and not the number of decimal places you want. You can see how this works if you look at the section titled "producing Expected Results" in. this link -> https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=p0tj6cmga7p8qln1ejh6ebevm0c9.htm...

What you want is a rounding unit of 0.001 as in the code below

proc sql; 
 	SELECT name, team, round (nhits / natbat,0.001) as batavg label="Batting Average"
 	FROM sashelp.baseball
 	ORDER BY batavg desc;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation