BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KIMDW
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am working on writing a paper using glimmix. As I was investigating the dual quasi-Newton method used in glimmix, I became curious about the differences between the dual quasi-Newton method and the quasi-Newton method. Additionally, could anyone provide any papers related to the dual quasi-Newton method, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Do you need additional information? If the previous response answers your question, please mark it as "Solved" and close this thread. Otherwise, let us know what else you need. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Recommending books is always difficult since we don't know which ones you have access to. Duality is described in most introductory textbooks on optimization, usually after the text describes convex optimization. One reference is Boyd and Vandenberghe (2004) .  The book is available online at https://web.stanford.edu/~boyd/cvxbook/ 

When performing quasi-Newton iterations, it can be useful to solve a "dual problem" that has the same solution, but the dual formulation contains additional useful properties such as convexity which makes it easier to solve. I direct you to the online course notes by Ryan Tibshirani at Carnegie Mellon University: https://www.stat.cmu.edu/~ryantibs/convexopt-F15/lectures/ 

All the lectures are good, but I specifically recommend:

• Lecture 11: Duality in General Programs
  • Lecture 13: Duality Uses and Correspondences
  • Lecture 14: Newton's Method, especially Slides 22-23 and the references on Slide 24.

Depending on your background and interests, you might wish to browse the other lectures.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Do you need additional information? If the previous response answers your question, please mark it as "Solved" and close this thread. Otherwise, let us know what else you need. 

KIMDW
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your help.

You've been very helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation