BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CyFerguson
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi, I'm looking for any advice on how I could best transition into SAS clinical trial programming from working in financial services (in the UK). I have nearly 15 years' experience as a SAS programmer have the Advanced certification and am very comfortable with macros, many procs including SQL, arrays and hash tables.

I see lots of job ads for SAS programmers to 'create CDISC compliant SDTM and ADaM programs and supporting documentation'. I've found various training options including the SAS Certified Clinical Programmer offering - is this qualification highly regarded in the industry?

Any suggestions / advice appreciated, thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @CyFerguson 

In addition to mastering SAS programming, Clinical SAS programmers are generally required to get a master’s or bachelor’s degree in statistics, analytics, or computer science. Other science degrees that have a strong analytical or life science basis are useful as well.

The "SAS Certified Clinical Trials Programmer" certification is a good credential especially to prove your motivation and show that you know the basics. However, to qualify for and obtain the job, you will need to "prove" that you have a good understanding of the pharmaceutical industry working environment: "jargon" and medical terminology, typical workflows, ways to interact with other teams (data management, project management, ...), drug / device approval processes, regulation +++ and standards (CDISC). For the regulation for example, you can have a look at ICH and FDA guidances.

In terms of programmation techniques, I am not familiar enough with financial data but I do believe that you will face a huge difference with clinical data manipulation as they are usually 'dirty' (e.g. you have a yes/no question, "no" is ticked' but 'if yes specify' is fulfilled, ...). So you will need to use 'defensive' programming techniques to get the right results.

The following book is a great resource to make you more familiar with the 'daily work' of a clinical SAS programmer: https://www.sas.com/store/books/categories/usage-and-reference/sas-programming-in-the-pharmaceutical...

Best,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @CyFerguson 

In addition to mastering SAS programming, Clinical SAS programmers are generally required to get a master’s or bachelor’s degree in statistics, analytics, or computer science. Other science degrees that have a strong analytical or life science basis are useful as well.

The "SAS Certified Clinical Trials Programmer" certification is a good credential especially to prove your motivation and show that you know the basics. However, to qualify for and obtain the job, you will need to "prove" that you have a good understanding of the pharmaceutical industry working environment: "jargon" and medical terminology, typical workflows, ways to interact with other teams (data management, project management, ...), drug / device approval processes, regulation +++ and standards (CDISC). For the regulation for example, you can have a look at ICH and FDA guidances.

In terms of programmation techniques, I am not familiar enough with financial data but I do believe that you will face a huge difference with clinical data manipulation as they are usually 'dirty' (e.g. you have a yes/no question, "no" is ticked' but 'if yes specify' is fulfilled, ...). So you will need to use 'defensive' programming techniques to get the right results.

The following book is a great resource to make you more familiar with the 'daily work' of a clinical SAS programmer: https://www.sas.com/store/books/categories/usage-and-reference/sas-programming-in-the-pharmaceutical...

Best,

CyFerguson
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi @ed_sas_member

Many thanks for your reply, I have a BSc in computer science so good to know that'd still be relevant. The book you recommended looks like a great place to start!

Best,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation