BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pfarmer
Calcite | Level 5

I just recently begun trying to analyze data collected by Samsung phone and Galaxy watch through Samsung Health and then exported from Samsung Health.  The export creates a large number of csv and json files.  So far searching I have not been able to find any descriptions of the file formats (and they are not clear to me on examination).   I did find 1 or 2 posts on the internet from a couple of years ago of people trying to figure out the same thing.  It appears they never got an answer and the files may have changed significantly.  Also, I have never used json files.

Any links to descriptions of the current file formats would be appreciated.

Also, I have searched for articles of someone using SAS to analysis these files.  Great opportunity here.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Did you check the developer site for the data documentation or the SDK docs? Can you provide some of the files? I think that each JSON file types to different types of trackers/apps. Also Samsung Health supports third party apps so the different apps generate different files depending on what you use?

Analyzing health usage data is a bit a tricky with a log of noise - I work for an insurance company that has access to tracker data for some populations, very similar to Samsung Health. Cleaning/setting up the data for reporting was not a trivial process.

pfarmer
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the feedback.  Shortly after my posting I found the developer web site and file / variable descriptions.  Rather than a general descriptive search, I did a search on one of the more complicated actual variable names and it took me there.

On the json files, I reviewed those with a coworker who is very familiar with json.  For some reason there is a json file for ever record, rather than a json file that has many records.  There are also matching csv files.  So I am going to use the csv files instead of the json.

Dalelry
Calcite | Level 5

It’s great that you’re exploring the possibilities of analyzing your Samsung Health data with SAS. As you mentioned, Samsung Health supports third-party apps, and each app generates different files depending on what you use. You can find more information about the Samsung Health SDK for Android on the Samsung Developer website. The SDK enables sharing health data between Samsung Health running on Android phones and partner apps. It also enables partner apps to use Samsung Health’s tracker feature through app creation with the SDK. You can also find the data documentation and API reference for Samsung Health SDK on the same website.
Have you explored tools like AI-powered solutions to automate processing and glean insights? IT companies like this https://andersenlab.de/blueprint/AI-solutions-in-healthcare are developing exciting solutions for data cleaning, anomaly detection, and even predictive analytics. Their platform might be helpful in streamlining your workflow and extracting valuable insights from your data.
I appreciate the work you do for the insurance company. Cleaning and setting up the data for reporting can be a challenging process.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation