BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi All,

Thanks for your enthusiasm for this event and for your willingness to share your expertise. Details are still being finalized but to help in your planning, I want to share some important updates:

• There will not be a global SAS users conference in the Spring (April). The Spring event will be smaller and feature content aimed at analytics decision makers.
  • There is a large global SAS users event planned for early Fall (Sept). This event is planned as a virtual summit. Keep working on your content ideas – we’ll want you to share them at this big marquee event!
  • Additionally, there will be an event for SAS Partners as well as our now-annual SAS Hackathon event.

More details about all planned events are now available, along with an announcement from SAS Chief Marketing Officer, Jenn Chase. We’re continuing to work with Regional and Local user groups to help connect them with the content and support they need too. Check out this group for SAS User Group leaders/volunteers and join the discussion.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

@ChrisHemedinger 

Chris, any news?

B.

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi Bart,

I believe that plans are not yet final so nothing to announce yet -- stay tuned. However, some associated events are underway, like The Curiosity Cup (formerly "Student Symposium") -- check it out!

Chris

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

what are the typical key dates for SAS GF? eg submission of abstracts? thanks

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@pmbrown wrote:

what are the typical key dates for SAS GF? eg submission of abstracts? thanks

Usually, the call for papers would have been out at this time.

Quentin
Super User

"Typical" might not help, as we're living in outlier times... : )

My advice for folks planning to submit to SGF would be to start writing your paper now.  It's never a bad thing to be ahead of schedule.  And even if you decide not to submit this year, there is always next year, and plenty of LUG / RUG meetings in between.

(Also I'm a very slow writer, and I never have the confidence to submit an abstract until I've written a draft paper as a way to prove to myself that I can handle the material...)

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

i was wondering/hoping if they require only an abstract this year, then the paper could be drafted later (if the abstract is accepted for the conference)

Quentin
Super User

@pmbrown wrote:

i was wondering/hoping if they require only an abstract this year, then the paper could be drafted later (if the abstract is accepted for the conference)

I have no insider information as to planned submission requirement. But I've been a reviewer of SGF submissions in the past (it's an impressive, well-coordinated review process with multiple reviewers of each submission) and while abstract-only submissions were allowed, it's really hard to judge an abstract.  I think the last time I reviewed they encouraged you to upload *something*.  It could be a paper draft (which I prefer, but it's a lot of work), an outline (hopefully fairly detailed) or a draft slide deck.  I think last year they asked people to submit brief videos, since they knew it would all be pre-recorded.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
CJac73
Obsidian | Level 7
With this change from Spring to Fall for SGF, this will impact the regionals since they are usually scheduled during the fall. As a regional user group planner, my group's concern will be with the level of SAS support for our groups since we would be planning for the same time frame that the SGF will be held. There are other issues that will impact how the regional groups plan their next few forums.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I appreciate your points, Clarence. We'll talk more at our meeting next week (I know you'll miss -- Happy Veterans Day! -- we'll have notes to share) and in the coming weeks and months as the plans become more formal. But in general our intent is keep supporting the Regionals and Locals and maybe even amp things up if we can. Since SAS isn't hosting a big global in-person event, this presents the regional groups with a more exclusive opportunity for that experience. And we would love to help make that happen with your collaboration.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi All,

Thanks for your enthusiasm for this event and for your willingness to share your expertise. Details are still being finalized but to help in your planning, I want to share some important updates:

• There will not be a global SAS users conference in the Spring (April). The Spring event will be smaller and feature content aimed at analytics decision makers.
  • There is a large global SAS users event planned for early Fall (Sept). This event is planned as a virtual summit. Keep working on your content ideas – we’ll want you to share them at this big marquee event!
  • Additionally, there will be an event for SAS Partners as well as our now-annual SAS Hackathon event.

More details about all planned events are now available, along with an announcement from SAS Chief Marketing Officer, Jenn Chase. We’re continuing to work with Regional and Local user groups to help connect them with the content and support they need too. Check out this group for SAS User Group leaders/volunteers and join the discussion.

TashaChapWUSS
Obsidian | Level 7
Is there a reason that a large global event is being scheduled for Fall, when the Regionals usually have their events already scheduled? And is this going to be the future for SGF?
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @TashaChapWUSS,

We know this makes for a crowded Fall season with SAS users events, and that some regional groups are very far along with their plans for in-person conferences. I personally hope to attend some of those. We're still working to plan how it will all work for this year and for the future. I know that our "announcement" here generates more questions, but we wanted users to know what to expect in April since many were making plans. More to come soon.

TashaChapWUSS
Obsidian | Level 7
Chris, I am completely stunned, and quite honestly troubled by this news. When you say that Regional groups are far along in planning, as a Regional group leader and conference chair for WUSS 2022, I feel I should clarify what that actually means. Our organization currently holds multiple contracts with hotels, which have been set years in advance, and are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue (or losses) for our organization. And we are not the only Regional in this situation. SAS has been fully aware of the dates of our Regional conferences ever since those contracts were signed. This announcement puts us in direct competition for attendees, speakers, class instructors, sponsors and exhibitors, SAS support, and other resources.

This is in direct violation of a longstanding agreement between SAS and between all the other regionals to not "cannibalize" each other, by steering clear of set conference dates as much as possible, an agreement that was put in place for everyone’s benefit. Who benefits from SGF moving to the Fall?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 97 likes
  • 13 in conversation