BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
louisehadden
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks for the tip about the Boston meet-up, Chris.
pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

is it possible to get email alerts for sas events? i follow sas on linkedin but still missed any news about the sas explore event in sept.

TashaChapWUSS
Obsidian | Level 7

Not exactly what you were asking, but just wanted to chime in to say that for folks who are interested in Regional Conferences, you can sign up for the WUSS mailing list at wuss.org/signup.  

Speaking of which, this is the last week our early registration rates are in effect.  Register by Friday (7/29) to get $200 off our on-site registration fee. 🙂

Tasha

pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

I'm envious of the user groups you have in USA, I read the submitted papers on lexjansen's website. They dont appear to be virtual events, however. How can a non-American publish a sas paper in this case, if they cannot submit to eg wuss?

louisehadden
Quartz | Level 8
A number of user groups in the US, including WUSS, sponsor virtual sessions, primarily because of the pandemic but also to reach out to a broader audience. I’ve presented virtually at WUSS, SESUG, RTSUG, SGF, and Michigan SUG, and I know there are others., including in Europe. SAS Explore is also virtual. This is a fantastic opportunity for everyone!
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Another option that I've seen is co-authoring the paper with someone who is attending the conference.  I've presented papers on behalf of people outside the country who couldn't attend, as have others I've worked with in the past.  Usually there will be someone who is familiar with the topic and is happy to collaborate, even if the collaboration is 90% presenting it and 10% talking it over.

Marje
Obsidian | Level 7
Absolutely agree. I have done the same on many occasions. A wonderful way to collaborate, and all benefit for the additional users perspective and experience.
Quentin
Super User

I was sorry to see that SAS Explore apparently won't be publishing papers, I think it's all video.  If SAS Explore becomes an annual event, I would hope it includes papers next year.  I'm a big fan of conferences/meetings, but a paper can live on for many years.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
LoriGoldman
Obsidian | Level 7

@Quentin Totally agree.  Also, when you're watching a video presentation knowing that there's a paper or other written material/slides to refer to later allows the viewer more freedom to simply watch the video and absorb the concepts instead of worrying about having to take notes.

pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

yes, papers are crucial for sharing ideas long after the event, i can't sit thru a video. Stata has its journal, sas needs something. Phuse used to have a journal (which would have favoured sas code because the industry does) but it ended many years ago, i think it was called pharmaceutical programming.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I agree with everyone about the benefits of a written version of what is presented at a conference. We do offer the opportunity for experts to share their "how to" and best practice info, including code, in the SAS Community Library. (A great example of someone doing this is in this article about Survival Plots -- every week it seems there are new comments/questions.)

At SAS Explore we're not requiring a paper component -- it would be a big ask for SAS to make of the expert contributors who are already committing their time and talent to a conference that SAS is putting on.

That said, I think we welcome written companions to any recorded presentations if we can get them. It helps other users to put the techniques into practice. With something like a community article, it's possible to update the content with new and corrected info over time. (Difficult to do with traditional papers which get locked down with the conference proceedings.) We will have a community hub space that will "open for business" as the conference draws closer, and we'll definitely feature as much content in there as we can.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Marje
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks Chris
That will be a great asset as a companion to the presentation. And I am sure you are a step ahead - but a link from the EXPLORE presentation video to that location would mean easy to find.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Check our Community Events Calendar here. You can subscribe for notifications (when new events are added) or use the RSS feed.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

excellent, thanks