BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mendezla
Fluorite | Level 6

I recently wrote a LinkedIn article about my thoughts regarding the cancellation of SAS Global Forum.  I'd thought I'd share it here in case you haven't read it.

I was looking to find some meaningful quote about the disappointment I feel about the cancellation of SASGF in Washington DC. I didn’t find anything that I felt fit the bill. It sucks. It flat out sucks. However, as a friend of mine used to say, “It is what it is”. I still feel terrible that so many people invested their time, energy, knowledge, money, and heart into SAS Global Forum, and it is now cancelled. Whether they wrote a paper and were going to present, worked over a year to organize the content and logistics, managed to get the trip paid for by their employer, or even sacrificing and investing in themselves and paying out of pocket to attend for the first time, no matter what, it's disappointing.   For many of us, it’s a huge blow; however, I’m not going down like that. 

As the SAS Global Forum Conference Chair, I feel obligated to do whatever I can to ensure that the knowledge that would have been shared in D.C. will still be shared virtually. How? I’m not sure yet; those details are still being worked out. I will share all of the details as soon as I can. The conference team and the SGUG Executive Board have sent me messages about how committed they are to help us do whatever we can for the SAS User Community to benefit from this situation. They are truly an amazing group of people. Let’s not forget everyone at SAS who are working feverishly dealing with this turn of events. They are also committed to making the most of these circumstances.

I know there are a lot of questions and we are working to get all of them answered. Be sure to monitor the FAQs on the website. I’ll share whatever information I can, when I can. Please, bear with us as we work to create a great virtual event. I still have a few conference team members that I will be highlighting over the next week or so, as they deserve the spotlight, so be on the lookout for my last few articles.

Thank you for your support of SAS Global Forum 2020, and I hope to share more information soon.

Sincerely,
Lisa

6 REPLIES 6
jwaller
Obsidian | Level 7

@mendezla As I said when I shared this yesterday, thank you for all YOU have done over the past year and a half.  You have done and are continuing to do a great job!

knoxkooley
Fluorite | Level 6

Absolutely 100% in agreement with @jwaller . Lisa, you have done amazing work over the past year, and have been an absolute terrific person to work for. I can't stress that enough. 

As you said, it is what it is. There's some comfort knowing that it's not just SASGF, and there's nothing we could have done otherwise to avoid this. But you have a heck of a lot of people on your side, not just on the committees, but in the general SAS community. Whatever comes out of this, and whatever decisions are made, I'm certain you'll have tons of support. You'll have lots of help from all of us in making the best of what we have.

Thanks for all you've done, thanks for the help and putting up with my stupid questions, thanks for all of the updates on this lousy situation, thanks for putting your heart and soul into this conference.

bjg
Fluorite | Level 6 bjg
Fluorite | Level 6
@mendezla Considering that half the world is taking drastic measures to avoid too many people getting infected at the same time, i think it was only natural to cancel the event.

I've noticed the efforts in the past few days has gone from preventing the virus from spreading to "damage control", i.e. attempting to avoid half a country getting sick at the same time, and while i'm sorry the event has been cancelled, i can also see the potential danger in 5000 people from all over the world meeting in the same location for a week.

I'm sure there will be another conference next year and we'll all meet up there.

Stay safe.
Quentin
Super User

@mendezla Thank you so much for your leadership of SGF2020!  I have been inspired by your LinkedIn posts throughout the year, getting to know the conference team.  It is a very special leader who uses their leadership role to share the spotlight with their team.  When I was asked to be a first time Room Facilitator this year, I said yes (despite my fears), and I have learned a ton during the process.

As a member of the SC of a local LUG (BASUG), I know how much work it is for us to put on "just" a LUG meeting.  And when things go wrong at the last minute, the work somehow grows exponentially.  I can't imagine the amount of work involved in leading SGF.

This year is obviously a bumpy one for SGF in ways that nobody could have predicted or avoided.  But thank you for all you have done, and continue to do for the SAS community!

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

As I commented in your LinkedIn post...

"There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love." Thank you @mendezla, SAS and all the supporters to continue the enthusiasm, energy, learning and community spirit #SASGF brings. Whilst we will deeply miss the value of an in person event, its important to ensure the SAS community remains healthy. Thank you for making this wise and difficult decision and I look forward to your future posts as you and the team all now prepare for an uncharted approach to SASGF.

🐨🌸

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
Marje
Obsidian | Level 7
As shared on LinkedIn -

Lisa - you and your team have done an amazing job planning. I was looking forward to seeing the end result of all the creativity and hard work. I applaud you all
And now we will look forward to a wonderful virtual experience as we expose some of the great content to our virtual community.