BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bbenbaruch
Quartz | Level 8

I frequently have EG Project logs that exceed the maximum size allowed for viewing inside of EG and therefore have to export them as text files.

Unfortunately, I then lose the "enhanced editor" feature of having the log in the EG project.

Is there a Notepad++ "language" that will provide the same capability?  Or some other text editor that will read these files with the same "enhanced" capabilities as EG?  (And if not, why not?)

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What features of the EG viewer for log files are you looking to replicate?  How does it's viewer work differently than viewing it with Notepad++ or any other text viewer?

bbenbaruch
Quartz | Level 8

I am talking about the project log -- not the logs from the program nodes.

In addition to color coding, the project logs "collapse".  That is, each run has a heading indicating the node that was run and the exact date and time it was run.  Each heading can be expanded to show the log from that run or collapsed so that one can quickly scroll through the log.

bbenbaruch
Quartz | Level 8

I have downloaded the "language" for SAS that creates the color coding for SAS programs.  The core piece of the EG project log text editor is the "collapsibility/expandibility" feature.  It would be very nice to have that in logs that have to be exported after the space available in EG for project logs has been reached.  Does anyone know of such a feature or text editor?

Quentin
Super User

I know @ChrisHemedinger has a Notepad++ language file for syntax highlighting .sas files.

See: https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2017/08/25/npp-with-sas/

If you just want highlighting of WARNING: and ERROR:, I would think that would be straightforward.  

I don't know if you can get it to automatically count warnings/errors when you open a .log file, or a "go to next error" button.  But you can do a lot with Ctrl-F.   If you select "Find All in Current Document" it will find all the lines with "ERROR", and pull them into a window.  And you can click a line to jump to that point in the log, etc.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation