BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Dear Community!

EG and git ... appearently a never ending story. (don't know where the "bursting out in tears" emoticon is right now). 

First off: I have a _very_ limited environment ... and have complained about it thoroughly enough in this group by now.  I would like to attach an existing repository clone to EG using the "add" button in the corresponding dialog. 

This works fine when that directory  is on a local disk or a mounted (i.e. viewable) network share. But if it is located on on of those nifty "network places" (not shares!) i cannot even select it with the dialog, e.g. it is not visible to EG. 

How come? Is it that https/webDAV magic that happens in between when win accesses those recources? Any way out?

... and having talked about limitations: My "local computer" where EG runs on is a cytrix environment where I can do no <wild curse> nothing on. So I currently se no way to mount those "network places" as a share.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi  @fja, sorry for your frustration here.

The Git integration with EG relies on local Git working with local EG, and cannot be used with any SAS-session based files. In your case, "local" is your Citrix terminal, so Git can work only with files that are accessible from the Windows system -- local and perhaps mapped drives.

This is in contrast to something like SAS Studio, which can use Git only with files that are available in your SAS session and cannot work with local desktop repositories at all. It's a matter of topology -- where your Git tools in relation to your SAS projects.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you @ChrisHemedinger for your remarks. Not what I was hoping for, but this defenitely clarifys things.

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

The Git integration with EG relies on local Git working with local EG, and cannot be used with any SAS-session based files. In your case, "local" is your Citrix terminal, so Git can work only with files that are accessible from the Windows system -- local and perhaps mapped drives.

That means there is now way around having the destination to be mapped as a local drive. I see. 

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @fja 

knowing your environment is based on Citrix technology/platform, your options are limited by the user settings/profile your Citrix Administration Team associate/attach to your user ID.

This is one of the attractive security feature of Citrix, and it can be one of the most restricting/limiting/frustrating feature for users! 

You'll need to work with Citrix Admin Team, meyby through your manager,  in order to resolve your access issues.

What you need to think about and look into:

• Once you establish a connection to the SAS server -- You would have a process running on a Server under your Network ID
    1. What can the SAS Server see?
      • Which Network drives/folders are set-up by default
      • Can the SAS Server access the internet (Directly or via Proxy)?
      • Can the SAS Server access other Servers on the same network?
    2. What can your Network ID see while logged into the SAS Server?
      • Which Network drives/folders your ID can access?
      • Does your ID have access to the internet (Directly or via Proxy) from the SAS Server?
      • Can your ID access other Servers on the same network from the SAS Server?

These types of questions can only be definitely answered and resolved by your Citrix Admin Team. 

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps,

Ahmed 

fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@AhmedAl_Attar wrote:

This is one of the attractive security feature of Citrix, and it can be one of the most restricting/limiting/frustrating feature for users! 

Namely the latter. 😞

Thank you for your reply Ahmed ... I will chase up the admins then. 

Cheers

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation