BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Visal_Chourasia
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying extract a very large dataset (more than a billion records) from a particular library to my local library. but it is giving me memory and timeout error. I tried to extract it by creating small chunks also but still it is giving me the same error. 
I would appreciate if someone provides me any solution to load this data to my local library efficiently. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Since SAS datasets are also ODBC compliant, try pulling them vs pushing them. I am not sure whether SAS would still have an issue but a simple Python, C#, PowerShell apparatus may work. You could also just try a binary copy using robocopy (assuming Windows) and set up timeout parameters. PowerShell is also highly efficient.

At the heart of it, the sas7bdat is just a simple file. Don't try to read and export, but just copy. If you need it in a different form, consider the ODBC route. You don't indicate what your final form should be so hard to tell the needs. 

https://github.com/savian-net
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Define "local". Does it mean you want to download the dataset to your desktop PC, or do you want to copy it to a library of yours on the SAS server?

Also post the log from your failed code; include the LIBNAME for your "local" library.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

The fact "more than a billions of records" should trigger you to rethink your use case.

Try to use the data where it resides, and only extract subsets/aggregates.

This can be achieved using SQL pass through (explicit and/or implicit).

Or if the dataset is a SAS dataset, use SAS/CONNECT or other methods to use it directly.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation