BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rjohn9721
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I hope I am doing this right but I need help using SAS Enterprise Miner on my MacBook Pro. I encounter an error where when I use the file import node, I am shown the folders of my laptop (such as desktop, music, downloads, etc.) but when I click on the desktop folder, where my dataset is stored, no files come up. I am not sure how to fix this. I have also been told that using a Mac, I may need to use a virtualized environment to adapt it to Windows. Does anyone have a tutorial video for this? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
rjohn9721
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I hope I am doing this right but I need help using SAS Enterprise Miner on my MacBook Pro. I encounter an error where when I use the file import node, I am shown the folders of my laptop (such as desktop, music, downloads, etc.) but when I click on the desktop folder, where my dataset is stored, no files come up. I am not sure how to fix this. I have also been told that using a Mac, I may need to use a virtualized environment to adapt it to Windows. Does anyone have a tutorial video for this? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Reeza
Super User

Are you using Chrome or Safari? Uploads definitely don’t work in Safari so I’d try Chrome first. If that doesn’t work, do you have a valid Windows license or partition already set up on your Mac? 

rjohn9721
Calcite | Level 5
I am using Chrome and no, I do not have a Windows License or partition yet.
I was watching a video and they said to set up the virtual environment, I
will first need to download VMware Fusion, then download Windows 10 on my
Mac.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I wonder how you're using Enterprise Miner on a Mac -- are you by any chance using the Java web access to Enterprise Miner through a class on the SAS OnDemand for Academics server? To use Enterprise Miner in this way, you'd need to have been given a code for a sponsored class. If this is the case, the first thing I recommend is switching to Google Chrome. There are some known problems with Safari and uploading on the SAS OnDemand Server.
Also, depending on what applications your professor chose for the class, you might be OK with SAS Studio, but other applications like Enterprise Guide are Windows-only client applications. My understanding that Windows was the preferred operating system for Enterprise Miner based on this page -- but I also understand that some folks have been successful using Enterprise Miner on a Mac once they get the Java details worked out. My understanding is that only these versions of Java will work with Enterprise Miner and the Java Web Start: https://support.sas.com/kb/61/038.html . Also, I think you need to make sure that Java is enabled for your browser for this to work. You said that you were having issues importing.
If you are working on the SAS OnDemand server, have you tried uploading your data file to be imported to the SAS OnDemand server? For other students using SAS OnDemand for Academics, they are only able to upload and download files to and from the OnDemand server. To import data like SAS datasets, CSV files or Excel files into SAS (as in our Programming 1 class), students need to make sure that all the data files are uploaded onto the OnDemand server.
If you are working with a professor in class, you might ask the professor or teaching assistant for more help. It's possible if you're taking a sponsored class that uses Enterprise Miner that your professor means for you to import the data from the class folder that is allocated to every sponsored class.
On the other hand, if you are using Enterprise Miner through a work license, it's possible that your SAS on the work server cannot read your local drive. Again, in this instance, you'd need to upload the data from your machine to the server in order to access the data.
Hope these suggestions help or at least point you in the right direction.
Cynthia
CraigDeVault
SAS Employee

If Cynthia's steps above don't help you solve the issue, please go ahead and open up a track with SAS Tech Support at the following URL:

https://support.sas.com/en/technical-support/submit-a-support-request.html

Peter_J
Fluorite | Level 6
try creating a Windows partition - p

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation