BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
miwilliams
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I feel like I am missing some sort of huge "aha" on this, but I simply don't know enough to help myself.  I am trying to run various models in SAS EM on a data set of 5 different variables (age ranges, sex, number of recipients, geographic region, and diagnosis).  This is the first time I have imported the data, which is an Excel spreadsheet.  All of the setup seemed to go through fine; it appears all lines (just under 1700) were imported, and there are no missing data. 

However, from the time I tried running decision tree, interactive decision tree, regression, and even an auto neural, the run fails, indicating I need at least one target variable.  I have tried designating each variable as such, but it is still not recognizing as intended, and I am at a loss.

I hope the screen shots below will help assist in seeing what I have done.  I appreciate any help in the mean time.  Thanks in advance!

Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrettWujek
SAS Employee

Hello @miwilliams - what you are missing here is that for predictive modeling you need to specify one of your variables to be the "target" that you are trying to predict. This is completely separate from saying whether or not you want to "Use" a variable in a certain modeling node.

You specify a variable to be a target by setting the "Role" of a variable to target, which you can do on the node where the data source is defined at the beginning of the diagram. Select that node and select the "..." next to "Variables" and then for whichever variable you want to be the target, change the Role to Target.

This should solve your issue.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrettWujek
SAS Employee

Hello @miwilliams - what you are missing here is that for predictive modeling you need to specify one of your variables to be the "target" that you are trying to predict. This is completely separate from saying whether or not you want to "Use" a variable in a certain modeling node.

You specify a variable to be a target by setting the "Role" of a variable to target, which you can do on the node where the data source is defined at the beginning of the diagram. Select that node and select the "..." next to "Variables" and then for whichever variable you want to be the target, change the Role to Target.

This should solve your issue.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

miwilliams
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much.  I didn't include screen shots of where I thought I had done this earlier in the diagram, but I apparently (wherever I did designate the target) did it in the wrong place.  Designating within the node, which was one of the screen shots I included, was a last ditch effort. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation