BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi there,

Can someone please tell me how to insert a blank line after each by group. Sorry I could not come up with any code but if you can write the code with sashelp.class table that would be great.

If it is not possible to do it on sas table please show me how to write that option during exporting to excel. 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

This might do:

proc sort data=sashelp.class out=class; by sex age; run;

data want;
set class;
by sex age;
output;
if last.age then do;
    call missing(of _all_);
    output;
    end;
run;
PG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

This might do:

data want;
set class;
by sex age;
output;
if last.age then do;
    call missing(of _all_);
    output;
    end;
run;
PG
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks PGStats. It worked perfect. Would you be able to tell me what the code would be for flagging each by group with chronological number. I added some lines to your code, but I also count the black space.

data want;
set class;
by sex age;
output;
if last.age then do;
call missing(of _all_);
output;
IF first.ID THEN count=1;
ELSE count+1;
end;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Look more carefully at the code you have written and follow the logic of it. Proper indentation will help.

data want;
  set class;
  by sex age;
  output;
  if last.age then do;
    call missing(of _all_);
    output;
    IF first.ID THEN count=1;
    ELSE count+1;
  end;
run;

Let's just assume that you meant first.sex instead of first.id

Notice how the test for first.sex is inside block that only runs at last.age.  So that can only be true when first age group in that sex group has only one observation.

Also notice how the variable COUNT is incremented after the record has already been output.

It is not clear what you want to count, but the CALL MISSING() is going to blank out the COUNT variable with all of the rest.

But my real question is why the heck would you want to add blank observations?  Are you just trying to produce a report?  PROC PRINT and PROC REPORT can produce reports that insert blank lines after the groups.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi Tom, I want to insert a blank space so that I can export it to excel from sas table without an extra step of PROC REPORT.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
How is writing it to Excel with PROC REPORT or PROC PRINT an extra step? Your step to insert the blank observations is already an extra step.
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi Tom, Would you please write the code with PROC REPORT that will export the data to Excel while inserting a blank space after each by group. Thank for your help.
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20
proc sort data=sashelp.iris out=iris; 
   by species; 
run;

data want;
   do until (last.species);
      set iris;
      by species;
      output;
   end;
   call missing(of _all_);
   output;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation